Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Tree Trimmer (8083C), Facilities Services -
University of California, Berkeley
Tree Trimmer (8083C), Facilities Services -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 7, 2019
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. The performs tasks requiring the highly specialized skills of the electrician trade.
The hours of work are Monday through Friday, 6:30 AM. - 3:00 P.M.
- Work primarily outdoors under the supervision of the Lead Arborist. Follows ISA standards, proper safety procedures using appropriate PPE, Facilities Services Code of Conduct, and Grounds Services operating procedures. Inspects, climbs, cables, braces, prunes, and removes, trees and shrubs. Performs all clean-up activities associated with tree work.
- Operates trucks and other tree industry equipment in the course of work.
- Uses basic/advanced tree climbing techniques such as up and down, foot locking, aerial rescue, lateral/side-by-side; climbs trees using climbing aids and safety devices in the process of trimming trees
- Works primarily with hand saw, pruning shears, chain saw wood chipper, Bobcat with grapple and stump grinder attachments, aerial lift, Hobs lowering device, and climbing and rigging ropes.
- Maintains power tools, hand tools, ropes, rigging devices, and saddles. Cleans and sharpens tools and power saws. Cleans and systemizes trucks.
- Inspects and diagnoses trees for various plant pathologies including bacterial and fungal diseases, insect problems, and nutritional deficiencies. Also inspects for construction damage, hazardous trees. Takes corrective action as required, and/or as assigned.
- Responsibilities also include ensuring that proper pedestrian or vehicular traffic controls are in place when appropriate and that all safety measures and practices are in place and followed at all times.
- Works cooperatively with other Facilities Services units, Capital Project staff, and other campus customers, and outside agencies such as PG&E and the City of Berkeley.
- Annually recommends equipment and supplies required by the tree crew.
- Attends ISA or WCISA sponsored events or reads articles/study guides to accumulate the appropriate amount of CEUs to maintain ISA Arborist certification.
- Conducts and maintains inventory for equipment and tools
- Fills out their time cards each day and prior to scheduled time off.
- May train or assist in the training of personnel as assigned
- Adhere to all university and departmental safety guidelines.
- Attend job-related and safety training as required.
- Use required or appropriate PPE.
- Follow appropriate safety procedures, and the proper use and care of equipment such as the chainsaw, wood chipper and aerial lift.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Salary & Benefits
- Must be a Certified Arborist or obtain certification within One year of Employment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers, subordinates, supervisors, and the general public.
- Must be able to work cooperatively in a group setting.
- Must know and follow the ANSI A300-Tree, Shrub, and other Woody Maintenance Standard and Pruning Practices, Part 1-Pruning and Part 3-Support Systems
- Must know the sate and proper use of a hand saw, pruning shear, chain saw wood chipper, Bobcat with grapple and stump grinder attachments, aerial lift, Hobs lowering device, and climbing and rigging ropes.
- Must be able to drive one-ton trucks the Hi-Ranger aerial lift, and proficiently position the wood chipper while driving in reverse.
- Knowledge and ability to properly operate, and provide daily/weekly basic maintenance of landscape maintenance equipment such as: chain saw, and wood chipper.
- Must have 2 years of experience in climbing trees, performing crown restoration, removing hazardous branches or trees, using rigging and related knots, and using tree trimming tools and equipment.
- Must have the ability to work with CMMS system organization, management, and maintenance; general work order/ work flow management and asset maintenance (using CMMS software) Maximo Work Order System.
- Must be proficient in tree climbing using climbing saddle and ropes, and also proficient in rigging.
The position is non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is set at step 1.0, $23.60.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26972&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |