SAN JOSE -EVERGREEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
The San Jose - Evergreen Community College District is currently recruiting an Administrative Secretary. This is a temporary assignment through 10/31/21 with the possibility of extension. Hourly pay is $29.12. Working hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM. The position will be located at Evergreen Valley College, 3095 Yerba Buena Road, San Jose, CA 95135
Duties and Responsibilities/Specific to Position:
· Under the direction of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, perform a variety of clerical and skilled tasks as outlined below:
· Exercise independent judgment in relieving a Vice President of actions not requiring his/her immediate attention.
· Screen office and telephone calls; respond to sensitive complaints and requests for information from the general public, students, faculty, and staff; resolve concerns and complaints; refer inquiries as appropriate.
· Establish and maintain a variety of sensitive files and records; research and gather information for special reports.
· Maintain calendar of department activities, meetings and various events; make reservations for conferences and other events; coordinate travel arrangements for department staff as needed.
· Maintain a variety of program and departmental budgets; make budget transfers, create purchase orders, and pay vendors.
· Perform paraprofessional support work as assigned; research questions pertaining to policies and procedures.
· Perform a variety of administrative, secretarial, and clerical support functions for assigned office activities; independently prepare and send correspondence; respond to letters and general correspondence of a routine nature; prepare reports and graphic materials as assigned.
· Receive and process agreements; edit and maintain agreements; monitor expiration dates; inform appropriate executive staff.
· Provide staff support on a variety of boards and committees; prepare agendas and other material; prepare minutes and distribute.
· Open, sort and distribute mail; identify priority items.
· Order and maintain adequate supplies as required.
· Perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
· Organization, time management and standard office procedures.
· Principles of business letter writing.
· Advanced principles and procedures of record keeping and reporting.
· Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
· English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
· Basic mathematical principles.
· Perform responsible and difficult administrative and secretarial work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
· Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
· Work independently in the absence of supervision
· Compile and maintain sensitive records.
· Independently prepare correspondence and memorandums.
· Type at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
· Manage and maintain multiple budgets.
· Maintain effective audio visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations, communicating with others, reading and writing, operating assigned equipment, handling varied tasks simultaneously.
· Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include standing or sitting for extended periods of time, operating assigned equipment, typing for extended periods of time.
· Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions, answering questions, and demonstrating intellectual capabilities
Education and Experience:
· Education equivalent to a high school diploma or GED supplemented by specialized administrative secretarial training.
· At least three years of administrative (clerical) experience involving heavy public contact and primary support to management staff.
· Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
· Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
Interested applicants should Contact the Vice President of Academic Affairs, Matais Pouncil at: (562) 419-8833 or Matais.Pouncil@evc.edu
For consideration, please submit a District application, cover letter, resume and copy of your transcripts by August 13, 2021