Senior PeopleSoft System Administrator (0520U) 2212 - 2212
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Enterprise Applications leads the operations of campus software solutions that support the university's primary administrative, human resources, finance and student systems. Enterprise Applications (EA) is part of Information Systems and Technology.
The objective of EA is to bring value to campus through a department-wide continuous cycle of improvement and feature enhancements in a suite of tightly integrated custom and purchased systems. To ensure the success of these mission-critical systems, EA is staffed with a blend of technical and functional experts who will test and implement new features, respond to campus needs, and keep all systems running optimally throughout the academic cycle and financial year. EA partners with areas across the university to ensure systems support efficient and effective operations, while introducing cutting edge functionality to best support students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members.
This position serves as the technical administrator for hardware, operating systems, and network integration and coordination with PeopleSoft. Plans, coordinates and implements the installation, configuration, monitoring and testing of PeopleSoft software components. Work involves mission critical central computer systems and networks. Includes web systems administration.
Applies advanced systems/infrastructure concepts to:
- Define, design, implement and document highly complex network communications and solutions. Initiate, plan, design and implement networked systems in support of mission critical PeopleSoft applications. Apply advanced systems/infrastructure concepts to operate the campus' internal data communications systems.
- Implement highly complex system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
- Develop complex monitoring/alert plan to ensure systems are highly available.
- Manage capacity for central servers in coordination with Database, System and Network Administrators and make recommendations for purchase or upgrade of hardware, operating systems, databases and PeopleSoft software.
- Conduct highly complex systems programming and systems support activities.
- Execute and maintain security control to prevent hackers from infiltrating campus information. Administer security policies to control access to systems.
- Primary responsibility for scheduling and implementing PeopleTools upgrades and PeopleSoft application bundles.
- Analyzes, acquires, installs, modifyies and supports operating systems, databases, utilities and Internet/intranet-related tools.
- Provides 24x7 support on a rotating basis for the PeopleSoft Application.,
- Conducts highly complex systems programming and systems support activities.
- Conducts highly complex programming tasks.
- Applies advanced systems/infrastructure concepts to operate the campus' internal data communications systems, including LANs and WANs.
- Initiates, plans, designs and implements networked systems.
- Executes security control to prevent hackers from infiltrating campus information.
- Maintains security systems for routers and switches.
- Administers security policies to control access to systems.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Interacts with senior internal and external personnel. May lead a team of systems/infrastructure professionals.
- Bachelor's degree Computer Science, Engineering, or in a related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Minimum of 5 years experience with PeopleSoft Application Administration and/or Development.
- Minimum of 2 years experience with Linux System Administration.
- Minimum of 2 years experience with Oracle Database Administration.
- Must be able to communicate (verbal and written) technical information in a clear and concise manner across the organization and at varying levels.
- Has knowledge, skills and abilities associated with problem identification and resolution.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Open Minded approach to Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Information Services & Technology believes in and fosters a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the OCIO/IST community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
- We champion diversity.
- We act with integrity.
- We deliver.
- We innovate.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2212&PostingSeq=1