Performs specialized transcript evaluations in providing counselors, academic advisors, and students with accurate and current information regarding the use of courses taken at other higher education institutions. Prepares, completes and forwards to the school of transfer a certification of articulated lower division courses for general education including transfer courses taken at other colleges. Performs student graduation checks and evaluates transcripts for acceptability for various College degree and certificate requirements. Ensures student residency has been determined and established; updates all permanent records to reflect current status. Performs the full range of duties associated with certification and processing of student applications for Veterans Administration educational benefits.
Distinguishing Career FeaturesThe Admissions and Records Technician, Senior â is a specialized position in an Admissions and Records career path. Admissions and Records Technician I is the first level position concentrating primarily on customer transactions and fulfilling requests. Advancement to Technician II requires two years as a Technician I, and a demonstrated ability to maintain complete student records that include grades, residency determinations, and transfer/degree/certificate status, and make independent judgements on student status or academic progress. The Technician Senior requires at least three years at level II, and recognition as the primary or lead resource in transcript and graduation evaluations, Faculty Services, Admissions and Residency or Veterans Services. The r Technician Senior also requires a demonstrated ability to perform in any admissions and records functions including, but not limited to, admissions, registration, residency determination, veteran services, international students, academic progress, student status, permanent records, attendance rosters and Faculty Services.
Essential Duties and ResponsibilitiesSpecific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties: The Admissions and Records Technician Senior serves as a subject matter specialist in one or more areas encompassing a portion of these duties, however is fully capable of performing all of the following:
* Evaluates graduation petitions for Associate of Arts and Science degrees, general education, and certificate petitions. Reviews and verifies treatment of non-traditional credit requests. Prepares and conveys completed major curriculum and GE guides and degree audits to students.
* Reviews and assesses official transcripts from other educational institutions and verify acceptable accreditation. Researches and reviews reference manuals and state guidelines for course comparability. Reviews high school transcripts and standardized test results.
* Verifies that all core courses and general education courses are completed and that official transcripts are sent to the State Boards for programs culminating in licenses and certificates, such as but not limited to medical and cosmetology fields.
* Determines equivalency of courses taken at other colleges and institutions; check for course repetitions and courses taken out of sequence; verify level, content, unit value and grading system from catalogs or through correspondence with other institutions.
* Provides counselors, academic advisors, and students with accurate and current information regarding the use and transferability of courses taken at other colleges and universities.
* Posts transferable courses, credits, grades, GPA, and class rank to student's academic record. Posts graduation dates and majors, to individual transcripts. Prepares and provides graduation lists for publication.
* Performs quality control to educational advising by analyzing potential discrepancies or inconsistencies identified while evaluating degree petitions.
* Explains degree requirements, repeatability policies, etc. Notifies students of evaluation results, advising them of appropriate options to satisfy outstanding requirements, explaining pertinent laws, regulations, policies and procedures, and other degrees and certificates for which they are eligible.
* Interprets College policies, and federal and state codes, providing determinations as to whether exceptions are viable and advising on appropriate processes to request feasible exceptions.
* Conducts re-evaluation of degree and certificate petitions at conclusion of each semester, posting degrees and certificates to affected students' academic records in accordance with established policies and procedures.
* Determines student eligibility for general education certification to the California State university (CSU) system and IGETC Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (UC) system. May determine student athletic eligibility.
* Processes non-traditional credit requests that include advanced placement, and course challenges. Evaluates waivers and substitutions.
* Maintains up-to-date accessible files of academic rulings and policy decisions affecting transcript evaluations and graduation.
* Analyzes and evaluates residency documents submitted by students to evidence bona fide residence and authenticity. Determines residency issues as they relate to student admissions, including challenges, exemptions, and evaluation of circumstances.
* Ensures that student records are up-to-date. Maintains student records including updating transcripts, waivers, demographic and vital information and posting grades and changes. Enters data onto an automated system with data entry screens.
* Verifies class enrollment status for students and faculty members. Interacts with students, managers, Faculty and other staff members to accept and facilitate transactions such as, but not limited to, student petitions, as appropriate.
* Maintains records of student attendance, instructor drops, and grades in a lead capacity. Issues and processes instructor records. Researches discrepancies and informs instructors of enrollment changes as needed.
* Serve as the lead VA School Certifying Official responsible for compliance with all VA regulations outlined in the VA Certifying Official Handbook; attends regular meetings and conferences to receive updated training and information pertaining to VA regulations and policies and procedures; consults with VA officials and other colleges' Certifying Officials for assistance with regulations and procedures for resolution of complex problems.
* Provide technical information and assistance to students and staff regarding VA benefits, enrollment, fees and other applicable information; provides guidance to students in correct procedures for completion of forms, applications, VA processes and enrollment; explains applications, requirements and restrictions; refers students to other areas of Student Services as appropriate.
* Reviews applications and other information and certifies student enrollment status for VA benefits; determines appropriate VA educational program and eligibility and provides necessary forms; reviews completed forms for accuracy and completeness; reviews and processes student certification, unit changes, and VA paperwork related educational benefits.
* Answers personal inquiries and telephone calls from students, staff and the public, and provides technical information and guidance as needed.
* Develops and maintains student records and files.
* Assists other Admissions and Records staff with student enrollment and registration as needed to balance variations in work flow.
* Conduct additional review of transcripts and enrollment documents to ensure all prerequisite requirements have been met by student. Advise and provide direction to students with any outstanding prerequisites needed to satisfy enrollment requirements.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.