Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Operations and Event Coordinator (7376U), Greater Good Science Center - 32789
University of California, Berkeley
Operations and Event Coordinator (7376U), Greater Good Science Center - 32789
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley (GGSC) studies the psychology, sociology, and neuroscience of well-being and teaches skills that foster a thriving, resilient, and compassionate society. Since 2001, it has served as a bridge between scientists and the public, turning research findings into practical resources for social and emotional well-being.
This position will serve as the GGSC's Operations and Events Coordinator, which will support the GGSC's financial and accounting systems, as well as the organization and management of its events, working under the supervision of the GGSC's Director of Operations. This will include supporting the GGSC's accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and budgeting systems, and will involve coordinating with speakers, vendors, and venues for GGSC events.
This is a full-time (100% time) position.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 18, 2022.
- Accounts payable: Independently creates purchase orders for outside vendors and processes invoices and reimbursements through the UC Berkeley BearBuy system for a range of GGSC programs.
- Processes payments by department credit card and reconciles according to UC Berkeley requirements.
- Accounts receivable: Invoices partners and clients for payments due to the GGSC, working within UC standard procedures. Tracks payments due and received from earned income activities; shares this nancial data with the Director of Operations and Executive Director. Follow up with partners on late or missing payments.
- Ensures compliance with credit card security standards and administers required annual assessments.
- Independently develops, analyzes, and maintains program and event budgets. Prepares budgets for contract and grant proposals and reports.
- Assists with the GGSC organizational budgeting process, including to reconcile actual expenses with the university's nancial reports and the GGSC's budgeted amounts.
- Fields requests and inquiries for various partnerships, including aliate relationships, permissions for content reprints/syndication, newsletter ads, or reciprocal marketing; coordinates agreements, payments, and invoicing; directs requests to Marketing Director, Managing Editor, or other relevant sta.
- Speaking requests: Handles incoming speaking requests and directs requests to the appropriate GGSC sta person; manages invoicing and tracks payments for speaking engagements.
- General inquiries: Oversees GGSC general email address and voicemail--and supervises students who help monitor and respond to those as well.
Event & Special Project Coordination
- Independently coordinates various events and meetings--in-person and virtual--including large public events and smaller multi-day residential programs/institutes, working in tandem with the Executive Director, Director of Operations, and other members of the GGSC events team.
- Independently identies and contracts with event venues (or digital platforms, for virtual events) and other vendors (e.g. caterers, furniture and equipment rental); coordinates with event speakers (e.g., for travel arrangements and speaking honoraria).
- Manages pre- and post-event communication to participants, including registration details and reminders, general inquiries, scholarship applications and distribution, and post-event evaluation.
- Manages application process for attendees for limited-capacity public events (e.g., communities of practice) and coordinates scholarship program for events when applicable.
- Prepares applications for continuing education accreditation for events, working with continuing education partner.
- Manages on-site event preparations and execution including cash handling and credit card management.
- Handles escalated customer service problems and vendor concerns around events.
- Processes all event-related payments (to speakers, vendors, etc.) after events.
- Adds and updates events and other special projects on GGSC webpage.
- Work with student assistants in purchasing books authored by speakers and other materials for the book sale.
- Knowledge of a variety of financial and administrative operations such as accounting, record keeping, and accounts payable.
- Strong project management, problem solving, and customer service skills.
- Experience and comfort working with Excel spreadsheets and pivot tables.
- Experience and comfort creating forms and other documents (e.g., using Google Forms).
- Experience planning, organizing, and managing events of various sizes, from private meetings to large public events, both in-person and virtual.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with vendors, partners, GGSC program/event participants, other members of the public, and GGSC colleagues, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience and comfort working with and/or ability to learn the Google Suite and Zoom.
- Ability to occasionally staff GGSC events on weekends (2-3x/year).
- Comfort with and/or ability to learn content management system (e.g., Expression Engine, WordPress), newsletter software (e.g., Mailchimp), survey software (e.g., Qualtrics)
- Thorough knowledge of and/or ability to learn UC Berkeley processes, protocols, and regulations for procurement, reimbursements, and accounting.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn UC Berkeley-specific computer programs (e.g., for travel).
- Familiarity with-and affinity for- and/or ability to learn the Greater Good Science Center's mission and programs.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $31.13 to $35.78. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
- This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment, eligible for full UC benefits.
- Hybrid-remote working arrangements are possible.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=32789&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |