In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University becoming "One Tuskegee", the ideal Athletic Academic Advisor will possess the willingness to use their expertise in transforming Tuskegee into a leading 21st century living and learning environment.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities:
The Athletic Academic Advisor reports directly to the Director of Athletics and is primarily responsible for providing academic advising services to the TU Athletic Department student athletes.
- Serve as an academic advisor for certain sport teams as assigned
- Help students understand University and degree requirements and develop a responsible approach to academic planning
- Assist in assessing student-athlete course performance
- Assist and advise student-athletes each semester during the pre-registration process by monitoring their class schedules for graduation requirements and special athletic needs, such as travel and practice times
- Maintain accurate academic records, develop statistical analysis of academic success or challenges and provide data as requested regarding the academic progress of student-athletes on an on-going basis
- Communicate with coaches and track the admission status, assessment and pre-registration of all new student-athletes
- Assist coaches in the recruitment process of student-athletes by sharing academic information and by meeting prospective student-athletes for campus visits
- Assist with on-campus recruitment visits of student-athletes by preliminarily assessing their admissions status for TU and academic eligibility status by NCAA standards
- Assist student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility in completing their degree at TU
- Assist upperclassmen in all graduation matters, e.g. career counseling, letters of recommendation, post- graduate testing and application, etc.
- Assist with the distribution, management and accounting of departmental textbook program
- Assist with fall orientation workshops for all entering freshman and transfer student-athletes
- Attend and participate in professional organizational governance
- Refer students to other office and campus resources as needed
- Assist with career development program in conjunction with CHAMPS/life skills.
- Assist with work on departmental technology plan in conjunction with the University plan
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A Master’s degree is required in Sports Administration, Psychology, Education, Counseling or related field
- Experience working in a university or college setting required
- Previous experience with budget processes and management experience required
- Some experience working with high school or college students required
- Proven experience in athletic academic advising on the intercollegiate level preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations as well as APR used by NCAA institutions
- Knowledge of University and degree requirements
- Ability to perform primary duties and responsibilities of the position
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and associated software (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations including the ability to relate to student athletes, coaches, administrators, faculty parents, the University community and the public
- Ability to detect and correct grammatical and spelling errors in written correspondence
- Ability to maintain files accurately, paper and electronic
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to demonstrate effective athletic personnel and programmatic administration, leadership and supervisory skills and strategies
- Ability to interpret and adhere to NCAA Rules
- Ability to meet the needs of student athletes experiencing adjustment or academic difficulties
- Ability to monitor continuing eligibility and satisfactory progress of student-athletes each semesterlte1m using APR, NCAA and University guidelines
- Must be a team player, and provide excellent customer service
Commensurate with education, training and experience
**The statements contained in this job announcement reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. **
Applications are available at the following link:
Each applicant, including all current/existing employees, must complete and submit a Tuskegee University employment application, resume/CV, a list of (3) to (5) references (with detailed contact information) and copies of unofficial transcripts (official transcript(s) will be required upon hire). Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for the position. The University reserves the right not to fill the position in the event of budgetary or operational constraints.
Human Resources Department
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of employment.
Must be able to pass a background check.