Performs projects related to audits, advisory services, and fraud, waste, and abuse. Activities include compilation of surveys, data collection, data management, data analysis, and report writing. Assists in the development and presentation of reports and recommendations, as well as training in audit matters District-wide. Provides administrative support to audits by maintaining and updating files, databases, schedules, proofreading and assembling reports, and recording recollections of meetings, and updating the Department website and Navigator site.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Internal Audit Coordinator assists and may participate as part of a team, to carry out projects and studies on a variety of management, administrative, financial, budgetary, operational and other organizational issues. Advancement potential exists to Director of Internal Auditor with appropriate qualifications, experience, and certifications, including the ability to comply with and apply generally accepted audit standards to audits and studies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Assists with data gathering for administrative, operational, financial, and management studies and audits of District operations, activities, functions, and programs.
* Collects information used for analysis. Extracts information from data resources, reports, and observations made at work sites. Documents and organizes information according to the audit work plan.
* Reviews collected information for trends and consistency, making notation of unusual patterns or quality variations.
* Assists in conducting organizational analyses using research and knowledge of industry best practices. Identifies and evaluates a variety of administrative and work practices and issues that could be adjusted to enhance outcomes.
* Researches legal mandates, policies, best practices, regulations, labor contracts, previous audit reports, and other materials relevant to the audit or special study.
* Drafts selected report materials that include recommendations, procedures, manuals, briefing packets, and proposed policy changes. Receives and assembles working papers to comply with industry auditing standards.
* Provides administrative support to audits, consulting engagements, and other projects. Plans, schedules, and prepares materials for meetings. Coordinates and sets up meeting facilities.
* Maintains audit records. Tracks hours worked, assists in preparing work-in-progress reports, sets up business calendars and cycles, then monitors key deadlines and/or time lines for projects, and work activities.
* Produces pre-approved reports, correspondence, forms, charts and graphs using desktop productivity applications.
* Responds to inquiries and conveys information about the services provided by the Internal Audit group. Interprets and conveys policies and procedures, referring difficult or sensitive matters to the Director.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.