Mouse Behavior Assistant (9612C) - 27281
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 26, 2019
The teaching and research activities of the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB) concern the molecular structures and processes of cellular life and their roles in the function, reproduction, and development of living organisms.
This agenda covers a broad range of specialized disciplines, including biochemistry, biophysics, molecular biology, structural biology, genetics, genomics, bioinformatics, cell biology, developmental biology, tumor biology, microbiology, immunology, pathogenesis and neurobiology.
The Isacoff Lab's research is focused in four intersecting and complementary areas: mechanisms of ion channel function, synapse development and plasticity, neural circuit function, and the design of novel probes for the optical detection of neuronal signaling.
Learning and Behavior Tasks:
- Plan and setup experiments in collaboration with senior team members.
- Modify tasks and develop new paradigms as required with input from PI and senior team members.
- May require purchase, assembly and/or testing of equipment as well as learning of equipment specific software packages.
Data Collection and Analysis:
- Collect and record data in notebook and transfer to spreadsheet such as Excel.
- Statistical analysis using standard tests such as student's t-test.
- Assist in preparation of data for figures using Adobe Illustrator.
- Conduct intravitreal and subretinal injections, monitor animal recovery and health.
- May be required to monitor expression via RetCam.
- Requires controlled substances certification and work with multiple viral models.
- Isolate, dissect, and section tissue, analyze expression via microscopy or prepare for Multi Electrode Array (MEA) study.
Animal Husbandry and Colony Management:
- Perform breeding, weaning, health monitoring, and record keeping, producing required number of animals for each experiment.
- Develop and maintain required animal use databases.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Comfort or experience handling mice or rats.
- Ability to maintain clean, well-organized work-space and detailed lab notebook.
- Good interpersonal skills essential.
- Experience in animal behavioral testing and ability to develop, troubleshoot, and perform behavioral testing and independently assess vision restoration in test rodents
- Microscopy skills.
- BS in Biology or related science or equivalent combination of experience/education.
Salary & Benefits
- Basic neurobiology knowledge
- Experience in basic animal physiology.
- Working knowledge of retina and visual system
- Ability to perform subretinal and intravitreal injections
- Basic knowledge of statistics and data analysis and spreadsheets
- Ability to learn, trouble shoot, and modify multiple behavior based software packages.
- Ability to assemble complex behavior apparatus, include software trouble shooting and basic electronics assembly
- Familiarity with Retcam, Mult-electrode Array (MEA), and vibratome
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $48,513.00 - $54,631.20 (stepped rates).
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Research Support Professionals Unit (RX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/rx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27281&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1