Located five miles from downtown Boston, Tufts University is a Division III member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the highly-competitive New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC). Tufts students participate in 30 varsity sports, 20 club sports and a number of intramural sports. Tufts Athletics has won ten NCAA team championships since 2010 and has finished in the top 10 of the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup in each of the last nine years, including a first place finish in 2021-2022. Tufts Athletics oversees the Physical Education Department and manages all athletics facilities, including the Steve Tisch Sports & Fitness Center which opened in 2012. The Department of Athletics provides student-athletes a dynamic, transformational experience on and off the field. They experience the joy of personal growth inherent in high level competition, while cultivating lifelong connections with teammates, the Tufts community and the world around us.
What You'll Do
The Tufts University Department of Athletics seeks a full-time, 10-Month, Assistant Coach for Strength and Conditioning, who will reporting to the Director of Sports Performance. The Assistant Coach for Strength and Conditioning is responsible for the development, implementation, and management of individual and group strength training programs for male and female intercollegiate varsity student-athletes. In addition, this position will assist with tasks related to aiding the Tufts Personalized Performance Program (student personal trainers servicing the Tufts community), and the Fitness Center.
The successful candidate will:
● Assist varsity student-athletes in reaching their full physical potential by leading individual and team-specific strength, fitness and recovery sessions.
● Work with individual student-athletes to decrease injury rates through proper individualized training post-injury.
● Perform flexibility, strength, speed and conditioning tests on teams and individual student-athletes.
● Create online and web-based content for student-athletes and Physical Education course usage.
● Provide instruction for student-athletes, including progressions and regressions of exercises as needed.
● Coordinate with Tufts Athletic Trainers and Sports Medicine Department.
● Meet with head coaches and team leaders throughout the year to address concerns and coordinate programming.
● Comply with all National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) rules and regulations.
● Provide guidance for equipment orders; Suggest protocols and develop creative initiatives for implementing strength training exercises.
● Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
● Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
What We're Looking For
● Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science or related field (kinesiology/exercise physiology)
● Minimum of one year experience in collegiate strength and conditioning, and designing and implementing programs for college student-athletes
● CSCS or CSCCA certification
● CPR/AED and First Aid certification
● Knowledge of teaching methods
● Knowledge of a variety of sports
● Master’s Degree in related field
● Collegiate athletic experience
● Ability to lift and move heavy loads (at least 100 lbs.)
● Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information
● Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively coach Strength & Conditioning, develop and relate to student-athletes in an extremely competitive academic environment
● Evening, early morning and weekend hours
● Computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Excel