9-month position (Aug 16-May 15); actual start and end dates may vary based on academic calendar
This position is responsible for assisting with the assignment of work activities of kitchen helpers and student employees working in the food production area and is responsible for daily preparation of food items for Dining Services. Individual in this position works under the supervision Food Service Manager and Assistant Food Service Managers
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Detailed instructional recipes for all food items to be prepared and procedures on all preparation and food handling are provided. Food Service Managers are present in-house to serve as resource personnel and to monitor the quantity and quality of items being prepared for service and to insure sanitation standards are being met. This position has no supervisory responsibilities. To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral
instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
One (1) year (12 months) of experience in food service cooking in a commercial setting that is comparable to that described in the lower level of this series.
(Food Handlers Certificate or Food Service Manager Certification required within 30 days of hire)
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
One (1) year (12 months) of experience in food service cooking in a commercial setting.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Knowledge of materials and methods used to prepare food on a large scale, use and care of relevant utensils and equipment and food values and nutrition.
2. Ability – Plan meals on a large scale.
3. Service Orientation – A strong service orientation, actively looking for ways to help people.
4. Supervision – Ability to work with and supervise other kitchen employees.
5. Cleanliness – Knowledge of sanitary procedures and directives; how to use simple cleaning solutions and equipment.
6. Standard mathematics such as addition, subtraction, calculation of fractions, percentages.
7. Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
8. Reading Comprehension – Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
9. Quality Control Analysis – Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
10. Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards – Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
11. Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work – Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
12. Attention to Detail – Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.