Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
HR Data Entry Specialist (4722C) 2139 - 2139
University of California Berkeley
HR Data Entry Specialist (4722C) 2139 - 2139
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
Berkeley Educators & Administrators Regional Services (BEARS) - is part of Berkeley Regional Services, within the division of Vice Chancellor for Administration - provides reliable, high-quality administrative support to the Chancellor's, EVCP, Vice Chancellors', administrative, auxiliary, and other units that support academic excellence at UC Berkeley. Not only is BEARS the largest service region, it supports the largest variety of personnel positions in realizing UC Berkeley's mission of teaching, research, and public service.
Partners with key clients in the BEARS Service Region, including campus academic and business leaders, to best support their particular department/unit HR needs; including:
- Support assigned resources in managing the unit relationship, developing unit specific profiles and knowledge base materials.
- Provide strategic HR consultation across BEARS and with specific client units, education, and support to client management to resolve the most complex and sensitive issues concerning staff and the organization.
- Interpret Labor Relations agreements and provide strategic and tactical consultative guidance for up to 16+ different and complex bargaining units across the BEARS Region.
- Conduct complex employee and management investigations, prepare written reports and recommend action following investigations.
- Enters employee information into UCPath system for new hires, change of status, terminations, etc, ensuring that the data is correct and consistent.
- Ensures Audits for employee information and appointment information entered into UCPath are done accurately and promptly.
- Use various systems and reports to ensure timely, accurate payroll and personnel process for employees, including: time reporting input, adjustments, accruals, researching and resolving errors, interpreting policies and contracts, ensuring compliance with personnel and payroll policies and procedures. Investigate and develop solutions to problems in various HR and payroll systems.
- Applies timekeeping and/ or payroll concepts to perform complex analysis regarding pay processing adjustment, including retroactive pay and overpayments for employees in multiple bargaining units and unrepresented.
- Performs payroll and leave audits to ensure accurate pay, avoiding overpayment issues and adherence to University policies, Bargaining Unit Agreements and employment laws.
- Coordinate and ensure accurate timely processes for mass transactions (i.e. hires, separations, etc.): organize meetings and trainings, develop new documents and procedures as necessary.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of University infrastructure, policies and procedures, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Create, proofread, edit, update, and ensure timely distribution of: various documents, correspondence, operational calendar, manuals, etc.
- Ensure above materials are in proper business formats, accurate, grammatically correct, and handled confidentially, as required.
- Prepare, format, and analyze reports and data compiled from various systems.
- Utilize information to monitor and identify trends for: employee pay actions, data and pay corrections, etc.
- Prepare, maintain, track, process, reconcile and correct errors in a timely manner for recharges to other campus entities, transaction documents, financial reports (as requested), spreadsheets, etc. following appropriate University/departmental guidelines.
- Follow up and resolve any problems related to the above.
- Customer Relations and Communication
- Greet, direct, and provide information in a professional manner via phone, in person, and online in BRS ticketing system to employees, managers, campus units, and others regarding: general payroll information, specific payroll inquiries from employees, managers or other entities, etc. Respond to inquiries in timely and maintains confidentially of information.
- Participate in staff meetings and represents unit in departmental planning committees and with campus entities.
- Communicate with supervisor on workload, ability to meet deadlines, system functionality, etc.
- Recommend and implement procedural changes for internal payroll operations manual.
- Provide assistance and back-up support to coordinate all pre-meeting and post meeting activities such as: agenda items, background materials, room locations, transportation, notifications, equipment set up/take down, conference calls, catering, notes, follow-up on action items, and minutes.
- Develop and implement a document (both electronic and hard copy) control system in an effort to keep sensitive business and payroll records and files up-to-date with the most relevant and current information (as required by policy or statute of limitations).
- Organize, label/code, update and maintain departmental filing by pulling out-of-date information and redundancies.
- Works in safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Demonstrated payroll experience in a fast-paced setting.
- Strong mathematical abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Knowledge and experience coordinating, troubleshooting and responding to customer service requests.
- Skill to contribute as a team player in a respectful and professional environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly, accurately, and effectively in English, both verbally and in writing, with a diverse group, including staff, co-workers, campus partners, etc.
- Demonstrated writing skill, using correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation to compose and edit documents effectively. Demonstrated knowledge of proper business formats and ability to prepare professional documents.
- Ability to research special projects as assigned and produces and organizes reports to summarize findings, communicating the information clearly and effectively.
- Intermediate knowledge of PC based software (MS OfficeWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio; email; etc.).
- Must demonstrate ability to learn University systems. Demonstrated skill to create presentations andappropriate business documents using said software.
- Knowledge and experience gained in two or more progressive years of professional administrative, project and fiscal experience in a professional office environment.
- Detail oriented, accurate, and able to handle competing deadlines and multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to organize and maintain records.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to establish priorities and work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated skill in scheduling meetings and coordinating multiple calendars with calendaring software.
- Demonstrated record keeping and file management skills to organize, accurately document, and retrieve data in a variety of formats (Hard Copy, Electronic, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience in establishing priorities, following plans and completing goals/objectives in a timely manner.
- Ability to exercise integrity and discretion in all matters and to protect confidential information.
- Ability to demonstrate and encourage the values of collegiality, and respect among supervisors and peers.
- Ability to directly resolve problems through informal consultations and discussions at the lowest level possible.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply University rules, regulations, and policies.
- Ability to make independent decisions in solving issues while adhering to the University of California and Berkeley campus policies.
- Experience with Human Resource Management System (HRMS), On-line Payroll Time Reporting System (OPTRS), and Berkeley Financial System (BFS) chart of accounts. Knowledge of UC personnel and payroll policies and procedures. Basic understanding or knowledge of the University environment, its mission, and operational needs. Experience in a professional office environment in a college and/or university setting.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $24.69 - $28.34, Steps 2.0 - 8.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This is a full-time, 40-hours per week, limited (temporary) appointment, with an end date of September 30, 2020.
This UCPath Surge position is in accordance with ARTICLE 28.B.5.b: Limited Appointment: The automatic conversion to career status, as provided in Section B.2. above will not occur when one or more of the following occur: b. The position into which the employee is hired is not an ongoing position, in that the position is established and funded for 18 months or less at any percent of time. In the event the position is funded beyond 18 months, the limited appointee shall be converted to career retroactive to the first of the month following attainment of 1000 hours; except that nothing in this subparagraph precludes the University from releasing the limited appointee prior to the effective date of the funding extension.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2139&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |