Call and Business Center Representative (4722C), Facilities Services -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 10, 2019
Facilities Services is responsible for the maintenance of the campus buildings that total approximately 9.2 million square feet of state funded space plus approximately 4 million square feet auxiliary services space. To maintain a campus that is conductive to excellence in learning, research and public safety FS staff provides a full range of services, including custodial and grounds support, building maintenance, pest management, recycling and refuse collection, and management of utility infrastructure. FS also manages the purchase and operation of energy resources and provides specialized engineering and technical services. Additionally, FS has a support service group which consists of Accounting, Customer Care, Fleet Services, Procurement - Contracts and Storehouse, and the Call and Business Center. The Call and Business Center is the central contact point for campus maintenance request.
- Receive calls from internal/external clients, assess priorities, advance requests, process work orders, handle client complaints, run status reports, process night log and work on call log, process web requests, process UCPD lock requests, coordinate with grounds for outdoor facility requests, receive work and support requests from crafts, and receive auto dialer alarm calls.
- Coordinate with leads for communication of work status information back to clients.
- Coordinate with departments for special event requests.
- Process shutdown requests from crafts, project managers, building personnel, external utility providers, and the city of Berkeley; coordinate with crafts and buildings on verifications, approvals, and confirmations of scope, time, & dates.
- Run reports and process data from reports for craft shops including: Labor distribution reports, work discrepancy report, work load report, and assist tag reports.
- Process reports from accounting, for work orders in recharge status without account numbers, or work orders within a MOP status with an account number.
- Work order creation, including knowing the right status, formatting, and how to apply the recharge policy.
- Work order completion including entering critical information about crafts' response and knowing complete statuses.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Effective written communication skills to prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, policies and procedures, and training documents.
- Active listening, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills to effectively resolve questions, concerns, issues or problems and ensure cooperative and productive professional working relationships, with a diverse workforce in a complex organizational structure.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to learn computerized Maintenance Management System (IBM) software.
- Payroll timekeeping software (Kronos) comparable.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to facility maintenance.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures of safety and emergency preparedness.
- Ability to learn and understand the University's recharge policy.
- Ability to function under fluctuating workloads, with frequent distractions and interruptions, and complete heavy workloads with established time frame.
- Able to work under pressure of deadlines in a high stakes environment.
- Organizational skills to work on multiple tasks with competing deadlines, to establish goals and work load priorities, and to meet deadlines.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in typing and proofreading; both keyboard and 10-key.
- Ability to work with reports and spreadsheets.
Salary & Benefits
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
Hourly rate of pay for this position is set at step 1, $23.47/hr
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27178&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1