Administrative Officer 3 (7377U) - 9269
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 11, 2020
The California Social Welfare Education Center (CalSWEC) is a training and evaluation unit of the University of California at Berkeley's School of Social Welfare. As the nation's largest statewide consortium of social work educators and practitioners, CalSWEC's goal is to support and enhance the delivery of effective, culturally competent services in California's public systems of care. CalSWEC's work includes pre-service social work education and training and student support projects, professional in-service training projects, and workforce development-related program evaluation and applied research projects in the arenas of child welfare, behavioral health, and services for aging and vulnerable adults.
CalSWEC collaborates with 22 universities as well as partners and stakeholders that include the California Department of Social Services (CDSS), the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD), the County Welfare Directors Association (CWDA), the County Behavioral Health Directors Association (CBHDA), California's Regional Training Academies, the California chapter of the National Association of Social Workers, and other advocacy groups and foundations focused on workforce development for California's public systems of care.
CalSWEC seeks to hire an Office/Events Manager to serve the department. Under the direction of the Center Director, the incumbent will work with CalSWEC's Leadership Team and other staff (approximately 25), the School of Social Welfare and other UC Berkeley staff to manage the administrative operations for CalSWEC. The incumbent will also plan, manage and execute internal and external events for staff, funders, CalSWEC's Advisory Board and other stakeholders.
- Manages, plans and administers a range of administrative operations, including office inventory and expense management, human resources, equipment, facilities, and/or safety logistics, compliance and oversight.
- Coordinates and participates with UC Berkeley centralized human resources in a variety of HR activities including job classification and recruitment, on-boarding, and training.
- Ensures the preparation and completion of forms, documents and reports related to HR and payroll for CalSWEC.
- Consults/liaises with UC Berkeley centralized HR as needed in order to advise Center Director on HR Policy/Processes.
- Serves as human resources contact for CalSWEC.
- Supervises administrative staff and/or students.
- Works with Center Director to support internal and external-facing constituent needs.
- Works closely with program managers and fiscal managers to ensure they are receiving necessary administrative support.
- Works with program and fiscal staff to conduct comprehensive event planning, including budgeting, contract negotiation, registration, coordination, implementation, on-site staffing and budget reconciliation.
- Works with external vendors and event sites to develop contracts and ensure smooth logistical coordination of events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Thorough knowledge of human resources and personnel; management policies and procedures for staff.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles and practices of event planning and management, including third-party vendor research & selection, location scouting, contract negotiation, managing room block agreements, liaising with hotel management, event planning software and event expense reconciliation.
- Knowledge of virtual and remote meeting and conference planning execution.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage complex projects and events with in-person and remote teams.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills to produce high quality events.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operations activities such as events planning, office equipment procurement and tracking, risk management planning.
- Demonstrated and effective verbal and written communication skills, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and supervision skills.
- Thorough knowledge and skills with relevant software, applications, platforms, and other technology.
- Comfort with learning new skills and technology.
- Highly developed judgement, decision-making and problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills, including skill in determining those issues/problems that need to be brought to management's attention.
- Strong skills in short term planning, analysis and problem-solving and customer service.
- Demonstrated experience respectfully, collaboratively, and effectively working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to travel statewide (when travel restrictions lift).
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn University rules and regulations, processes.
- Familiarity with or ability to learn campus software and systems, including UCPath, BearBuy and BFS.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $67,500 - $98,900.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a one-year, full-time (40-hours per week), Contract (temporary) position with the opportunity for renewal dependent on available funding.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=9269&PostingSeq=1