The Director of Talent and Organizational Development is an exciting new role created to support UB’s Business and Entrepreneur Partnerships (BEP) within UB’s Office of Research and Economic Development. This is a unique opportunity to make a true impact in the Buffalo community and to be a key contributor in promoting entrepreneurial activities and programs among local entrepreneurs. A successful candidate will have the ability to observe, identify, and implement the infrastructures necessary to ensure the department is positioned to support the programs and initiatives in place to strengthen the region’s entrepreneurial ecosystem and improve the climate for business innovation. The position calls for a strategic leader with a robust background in talent & organizational development and culture & engagement initiatives. This person will be responsible for developing a talent strategy focused on building diverse teams and an inclusive culture, learning & development initiatives, and utilizing their HR/OD expertise to coach/mentor entrepreneurs as they work to develop and establish their businesses. The Director will report to the Associate VP of Economic Development and will work in collaboration with the Director, Start-up Ventures to support the transition of University technologies into successful start-up companies and to dramatically accelerate the growth of early-stage technology companies. The Director of Talent and Organizational Development will be a key player in the University’s entrepreneurial initiatives supported by a five-year $32 million dollar award provided by NYS Empire State Development.
Entrepreneurial HR/OD Leader:
The successful candidate will bring expertise in leadership development and progressive organizational development. The Director will:
- Establish a philosophy and framework for leadership and organizational development.
- Identify and create new leadership development opportunities or programs for leaders and high potential employees.
- Develop an effective talent review process.
- Serve as the internal subject matter expert regarding organizational best practices as well as current trends and innovative new tools and methods.
- Lead the design, execution and maintenance of an onboarding program for the department in collaboration with UB’s internal HR department.
- Ensure leaders and entrepreneurs are well equipped to provide feedback, recognition, support and coaching to their employees through training and more creative means of influencing and guiding.
Talent Acquisition Leader:
In collaboration with UB’s internal HR department the Director will need to develop and execute BEP’s talent acquisition strategy with a commitment to building diverse teams and an inclusive environment, integrating best-in-class approaches to attracting, evaluating, and hiring top talent. The Director will serve as the department’s subject matter expert on Talent Acquisition and will partner with entrepreneurs as a trusted advisor in this space. The Director will:
- Evaluate talent needs and design/implement a staffing structure that supports the department’s strategic objectives.
- Develop programs that attract, retain and motivate employees.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Diversity and Inclusion through Talent Acquisition.
- Partner with key stakeholders to understand internal movement/advancement and retention of diverse talent.
- Partner with UB HR to identify BEP’s talent acquisition needs, develop strategies to meet these needs, and drive accountability in recruitment and selection.
The Director will serve as an organizational coach to BEP leadership & employees, as well as the entrepreneurs and start-up ventures the department supports. The Director will:
- Provide support as an HR/OD/ Development subject matter expert to early stage companies.
- Provide methods and techniques for resolving conflict to employees and the entrepreneurs they support.
- Assist entrepreneurs in developing high performing teams through team coaching and facilitation.
- Identify and engage external experts/resources to support coaching/mentoring efforts.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience designing and delivering leadership and management programs;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience directly managing a team delivering leadership and management programs.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in talent acquisition. 2+ years as a Talent acquisition leader.
- Broad understanding and experience envisioning and designing robust leadership development initiatives under a clear framework using various implementation methodologies.
- Ability to influence and educate leaders/entrepreneurs on leadership development, including the purpose of leadership development, the role leaders play in developing other leaders and the activities needed to support effective leadership development.
- Superior verbal and written business communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage change and smoothly shift responsibilities; highly effective in ambiguous environments and able to produce maximum results with little direction or guidance.
- Ability to leverage external and internal resources and a people network to execute quickly, effectively and consistently in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving; proven research skills to gather data, best practices, and points of view to ensure sound judgment.
- HR Generalist/ Business Partner understanding/experience preferred.
Master’s Degree in OD/IO psychology preferred.
Expertise with adult learning theory and instructional certification a plus.