Prepares accurate and timely budget reports and provides technical assistance to departments and programs at one or more campuses to ensure correct application and allocation of accounting transactions. Provides assistance to the budget development process with historical data compilations.
Plan, organize, oversee and maintain the financial functions of general, ancillary, and/or categorical programs and other related institutional accounting functions to ensure budget and related fiscal reporting integrity for the college and District.
Distinguishing Career Features:
The Budget Technician is a technical position in the accounting career path requiring working knowledge of government accounting practices, procedures, and techniques and the rules and regulations governing treatment of accounting transactions within special funds. The Budget Technician serves as a technical resource for allocation of expense items. Advancement to Accounting or Budget Analyst requires expanded competency in assembling budget development packets and source documents, performing budgetary research, and preparation of special reports including those with account variances. Advancement to Senior Accounting Analyst is based on need and the ability to analyze costs and trends, both indirect and direct, compute and forecast financial impact of contracts and collective bargaining proposals, other overhead items, facilitate budget line item transfers and to perform special assignments requiring making projections.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plan, organize and coordinate the operation and maintenance of accounting/fiscal and budgetary functions of assigned area.
* Plan and develop procedures for preparing fiscal reports and for maintaining and storing specialized or centralized control of accounting and financial records.
* Provides technical assistance to departments, sites and programs on proper treatment and coding of accounting transactions, interpretation of rules for spending in certain accounts, and for reassigning funds.
* Assists with certain aspects of the budget development process for categorical special, and/or general funds by receiving, analyzing, preparing, and processing budget revisions; assist in the development of procedures for accounting and budgeting systems and recommend improvements.
* Provides technical assistance to support research and preparation of department and program budgets.
* Assists with preparing recurring budget reports such as but not limited to special education, mandated costs, interim and final reports, etc. Assists with preparing and describing variance analysis, for administrators of special funds and programs.
* Monitors approved position controls and staffing levels. Notifies administrators of exceptions and suggests allocations that comply with stipulations of categorical funds.
* Prepares and processes line item transfers. Reviews expense and other requisitions for compliance with applicable standards, rules and regulations, and approved budgets, analyzing variances and resolves variances with appropriate managers.
* Inputs approved budget data. Complies with established procedures for specialized budgets. Analyzes budget reports to assure expenditures do not exceed appropriations.
* Works with departments, programs, and sites to process financial transactions with established parameters.
* Provides technical support to departments accessing computerized accounting systems and databases that contain financial and statistical information. May assist departments in cost-benefit analysis of project, program, and related proposals.
* Provides support to processes related to budget development and position control such as, but not limited to, grant and other funding applications.
* Maintains up-to-date knowledge of the regulations and reporting requirements and procedures connected with categorical, special and general fund programs.
* Provides assistance to other accounting staff on an as-needed basis to balance fluctuations in workflow.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.