Pro Bono & Field Placement Assistant (4722C), Berkeley Law 24074
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
UC Berkeley's School of Law is one of the nation's great centers for legal education, ever exploring and pushing new intellectual boundaries while tackling urgent, real-world issues. The law school is also known for its vibrant and engaged community of students and scholars who are committed to providing leadership and making a difference on problems of local, national and global import. Currently ranked among the top law schools in the country, the School of Law has ambitious development goals as it looks to continue producing leaders in law, government, and society.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 1, 2021
General Administrative Support
- Student Support:
- Provides basic program information to prospective students, current students and alumni.
- Assists/advises student leaders and participants with financial requests (purchasing, travel booking, cash advances, reimbursements, etc.).
- Assists/advises student leaders and participants with administrative requests (webpage maintenance, document services, etc.).
- Assists in processing student form submissions via Canvas LMS and communicate directly with students and Programs' staff regarding submission notes.
- Program Financial Support:
- Supports all stages of vendor and contractor procurement and coordinates with program staff and vendors/suppliers to receive required forms and documentation for purchases.
- Prepares purchasing, travel and entertainment reimbursement requests for Programs' staff.
- Prepares, submits and tracks purchase order requisitions; receives and submits invoices; tracks payout cycle; and proactively communicates with vendors/suppliers on payment expectations.
- Ensures all budget approvals and appropriate back-up documentation is obtained for all expenses and adheres to campus and departmental policies and procedures. Partners with the Finance team at Berkeley Law as needed.
- Program Administration:
- Assists with reception and mail services, for the Berkeley Law Pro Bono Program and the Berkeley Law Field Placement Program with duties to include answering phones, greeting visitors (students and others) to the office, answering general email inquiries, alerting advisers of student appointments, monitoring drop-in advising. Responses to email, phone, and in-person inquiries
- Supports members of the Berkeley Law Pro Bono Program and the Berkeley Law Field Placement Program on administrative tasks including copying, compiling marketing materials, etc.
- Supports the creation and maintenance of semesterly Canvas LMS pages for both programs.
- Supports the creation and maintenance of new and existing Berkeley Law webpages for each program.
- With direction from staff members of the Berkeley Law Pro Bono Program and the Berkeley Law Field Placement Program, assists in planning student and alumni events including orientations, graduations, and other programs.
- In collaboration with other staff, ensures that events are planned within department's budget and liaises with the Berkeley Law Business Office, campus partners, and all vendors as needed.
- Coordinates and executes event and meeting logistics including room reservations, material preparation, catering, supplies, A/V, parking, registrations, travel accommodations, prepare meeting and travel itineraries. etc.
- Additional administrative duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge in administrative procedures and processes including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Experience providing excellent customer service in interacting with a diverse community and the general public.
- Ability to make recommendations for improvements and handle complaints and requests in a professional and calm manner.
- Ability to maintain decorum and a high degree of quality communication between the various constituents served.
- Pro-active, self-starter working style.
- Proficiency, speed, and accuracy in utilizing computer software programs for word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), internet, and other basic software applications.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and pay close attention to details, with a goal of achieving high quality outcomes and accuracy.
- Solid written/oral communication skills and an ability to understand a broad range of information about the organization and give information about the same over the telephone, computer and in person.
- Ability to prioritize work effectively; exercise appropriate initiative; demonstrate proper perseverance and follow through; and display sound judgment.
- Ability to effectively organize and execute numerous projects in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of University policies and campus business processes preferred, including BearBuy and UC travel and reimbursement systems.
- Knowledge of University Canvas LMS for courses.
- Proficiency in WordPress website maintenance/editing.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, biweekly paid appointment. Hourly pay is commensurate with experience within the range of $27.46 (Step 4.0) to $28.77 (Step 6.0)
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time (M-F; 40 hours/week) career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=24074&PostingSeq=1