Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Graduate and Family Housing Manager (7374U) 27423 - 1108
University of California, Berkeley
Graduate and Family Housing Manager (7374U) 27423 - 1108
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 15, 2019
Residential and Student Services Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer. RSSP provides and manages student housing, custodial and maintenance services, safety, capital and minor capital projects, self-operated dining services, campus ID card as well as early childhood & education services for students, faculty, and staff. RSSP also conducts a summer conference and year-round catering/events business and manages faculty apartments. RSSP's annual budget exceeds $160,000,000, and the department employs over 2500 career, limited, contract and student employees creating a culture of care for students, guests, customers and stakeholders.
The position is one of two administrative supervisors in Cal Housing and involves the supervision and performance of administrative services for Cal Housing single graduate and family student housing assignments. It is expected/required that this position respond to campus emergencies impacting housing (fires, earthquakes, deaths, significant police actions, etc.) to assist as needed. This position may provide back up support to the other supervisor who handles single undergraduate student housing and could be transferred due to operation need to that portfolio at management's discretion. Administrative services includes activities in finance and human resources, customer service, and may also include IT, facilities, or student services. General management includes long and short range planning to meet short and long term operational and strategic goals and directing all activities of multi-disciplinary departments through subordinate staff.
- Supervises the work of single student graduate and family student housing coordinators. Responsible for quality and quantity of work. Responsible for contributing to the development of housing assignment strategies for immediate and long term goals. Manages all communication with single graduate and family student housing residents during phases of assignments, contracts, transfers, cancellations, terminations, and appeals. Collaborates with the Manager of Systems and Assignments to understand and provide enhancements for how clients are interfacing with systems. Analyses customer service problems while maintaining maximum occupancy. Maintains customer satisfaction by providing problem-solving resources. Investigates and determines appropriate response to contract violations, seeks legal counsel, prepares and serves legal documents, and uses appropriate judgment to identify issues placing the University at risk. Provide reports and statistical data to support data driven decisions.
Provides backup support to the Resident Services Manager and the single undergraduate housing coordinator team members.
- Following department, HR, campus and all compliance guidelines, oversees hiring, transfers, promotions, salary actions, terminations, performance management and budget recommendations. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the unit. Directs the work of the Single Graduate Apartments Coordinator, Family Housing Coordinators, and student clerks. Responds to escalated tenant concerns. Monitors the ongoing eligibility of applicants and residents. Responsible for training and unit adherence to customer service, FERPA, ADA, NCAA, and California rental laws and guidelines.
Policy and Procedure
- Participates as a member of Cal Housing's management team to advise on developing trends and changing students' needs vs business objectives vs system needs. Partakes in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for department to minimize risk and achieve customer service and operational goals. Ensure adherence to policy, evaluate, recommend and implement changes providing equitable treatment of applicants and residents. Develop and maintain internal policy and procedures manual including process mapping and/or business process redesigning. Communicate policies, procedures and act as liaison to campus departments including B&PS, Fin Aid, Graduate Division, Residential Life, DSP, UVA staff, etc. Generates, serves, and follows-up on issued termination notices. Appears in court as University representative. Monitors delinquent accounts and follows-up appropriately. Examines and verifies the graduation report for ongoing eligibility. Annually administers RSSP Single Parent Grant and Sprouts Grant to eligible tenants.
Outreach, Recruitment and Marketing
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to meet housing priority and maintain maximum occupancy. Develop outreach tools and comprehensive recruiting presentations; deliver speeches statewide to groups of prospective student and parents. Participates in outreach and recruitment events representing housing. This is an exempt position that will require some weekends and evening work during outreach season, move-in and Cal Day weekends (April, May, August). Some travel and overnight stay may be required to represent housing at recruitment events throughout California.
Consult with General and Campus counsel about policy and contractual changes. Update contracts, publications, website and all communications with current information. Oversee facility tours provided to prospective students and families.
- Working knowledge of campus processes and procedures, rules and regulations.
- Strong knowledge of common campus-specific or similar computer applications used to support administrative billing, tracking, customer service contact, etc. processes as well as strong desktop/mobile device skills for creating/analyzing/sharing word, spreadsheet, data base documents.
- Strong demonstration in an ability to support and contribute to the unit team.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively motivate others.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify resolution.
- Strong customer service orientation, experience and skills working with the public clientele such as staff, faculty, families, students and parents. Includes demonstrate ability to diffuse and respond to customer concerns to avoid escalation of the problem.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills to include verbal and written, active listening, critical listening, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Demonstrated skill in developing and providing public speaking presentations representing housing at university events.
- Solid organizational and time management skills to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Knowledge of FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), American with Disabilities Act, Fair Housing Act, National Collegiate Athletic Association, and California rental laws/guidelines.
- Displays attention to detail, solid organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Knowledge of local housing market trends as well as national trends in university housing policies and processes.
- Political acumen to understand complex organizational structure and how to navigate effectively in collaborative environment that must work across multiple RSSP units and with campus and external partners.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Two+ years' experience in a University setting interacting with families, students, parents, faculty and staff in a customer facing unit.
Salary & Benefits
The annual salary range of the position is $65,000- $75,000, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1108&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |