Technician, HVAC Preventative Maintenance
Austin Community College District
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Technician, HVAC Preventative Maintenance
Job Description Summary:
To perform, conduct, complete thorough preventative maintenance on all heating, ventilation and Air conditioning systems and equipment throughout Austin Community College.
Description of Duties and Tasks
1) Conduct visual and auditory inspections of equipment to assess function, including contactor pitting inspections, ampere monitoring and voltage inspections, equipment and bearing temperature inspections, pulley inspections, shaft end-play and shaft deflection inspections, etc.
2) Perform standard preventative maintenance tasks of various pieces of equipment in accordance with manufacturer's standards, including filter changes, lubrication of bearings and related, inspect/tighten electrical connections, checking refrigerant pressures on all equipment 25 tons or less.
3) Complete minor equipment adjustments and repair, including but not limited to belt replacement/adjustment, alignment and set screw adjustment, chilled water and heating coil cleaning, evaporator and condensing coil cleaning on equipment 25 tons or less, maintain and
treat condensate pans.
4) Complete preventative maintenance forms as provided and prepare reports.
5) Assist on special projects as may be identified by supervisor.
6) Completes daily, weekly, or monthly checklists of pre-scheduled building and equipment maintenance procedures.
7) Operates a variety of hand and power tools, welder torch, vacuum pump, test equipment utilized in the trade. Maintain equipment in effective and safe working condition; maintain parts and tool inventory.
8) May assist HVAC Technicians with the performance of their duties as needed.
* HVAC tools, materials, and safe work practices.
* HVAC repair, maintenance, and installation techniques.
* Water source heat pumps, hydronic pumps, cooling towers.
* Maintain an established work schedule.
* Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills.
* Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
* Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
* Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
* Accountable for inventory/property management.
* Operating, installing, and maintaining HVAC equipment.
* Use basic computer skills such as accessing and sending emails, looking up equipment information on the internet, working with Microsoft excel, and work order systems.
Required Work Experience
* One year related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
* Two or more years related work experience.
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* EPA Universal refrigerant certification.
* Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
* Occasional lifting of objects up to 20 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
* Work is performed in a variety of settings including in-studio, on-location, and standard office environment.
* Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
$32,448 - $44,449
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
July 15, 2022
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.