IT Client Support Specialist
The Trustees of Tufts College
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website. IT.TUFTS.EDU
What You'll Do
The IT Client Support Specialist is responsible for providing effective Tier 2 frontline client support and desktop assistance for Tufts faculty, staff and students as well as technology support and troubleshooting for classrooms and public, instructional, research computer labs in a multiple building setting among four campuses (Boston Health Sciences, Boston SMFA, Grafton, and Medford/Somerville) and support for remote clinics (7 for the Dental School: Canton, Groton, Hogan, Springfield, Taunton, Worcester, Wrentham and 3 for Cummings Veterinary School: Walpole, Worcester, Woodstock, CT). Key responsibilities of this position include responding to a variety of support requests in-person or remotely; performing technical troubleshooting; workstation builds/rebuilds; installing operating systems; software/hardware installs; patching systems and protecting against viruses/malware; and troubleshooting peripheral and mobile devices. In addition, this position will provide support and training for a wide variety of classroom and web/video conferencing technologies; consult with departments to gain an in-depth understanding of their technology needs; provide ad-hoc training to the user community; and regularly create documentation to contribute to the knowledgebase. S/he will use available technical tools, such as the knowledge base, remote management suite, and a service-management database, to support their work and will often deal with a wide range of users with varying levels of computer familiarity.
This position has a work designation of being an on campus position.
What We're Looking For
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• The knowledge and skills that are typically acquired through a High School diploma and 3 years of experience in the direct delivery of IT support services.
• Strong technical skills in the configuration, installation, and troubleshooting of Microsoft Windows (all versions), Mac OS X and above, Microsoft Office Suite, email and web clients, Telnet clients, SSH clients, Antivirus software, TCP/IP, and imaging software as well as experience in troubleshooting peripherals (printers, scanners) and handheld devices (mobile, tablets, PDAs).
• Experience using remote desktop management tools, such as Ivanti/LANDesk Management Suite, Microsoft SCCM, JAMF Pro/Casper, or Bomgar, etc.
• Knowledge of desktop security and standards (security/networking).
• Knowledge of desktop encryption best practices
• Working knowledge of local area networks and network administration.
• Experience with IMAP, LDAP, Microsoft ActiveSync, Active Directory and group policies, data recovery tools, Microsoft Exchange, WINS, DHCP, DNS, and TCP/IP.
• History of working with ticketing systems, such as Service Now, Request Tracker, Zen Desk, or Remedy
• Demonstrated intermediate experience in one or more of the following:
o Endpoint Systems Management (e.g LANDesk/Ivanti, BigFix Tivoli, Altiris, MS SCCM, JAMF Pro/Casper, Kace, etc.) for lab management, desktop imaging, migration, software packaging, deployment and/or patch management.
o Creating and updating technical support documentation in a formal knowledge base.
o Creating and or delivering end user training on technology.
o Providing dedicated advanced support to executive/VIP clients or scientific/research oriented clients with specialized, non-standard technology needs.
o Performing IT user administration and account management.
• Strong technical, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
• Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and individually manage a changing workload and schedule.
• Proven ability to perform well under stress when confronted with emergency, critical or unusual customer situations. Ability to maintain a strong sense of urgency.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver professional customer service, end user training and consultation, effective team and project work,
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• MCSE, A+, Network +, CCNA or other industry standard certifications.
• Experience with IMAP, LDAP, Microsoft ActiveSync, Active Directory and group policies, data recovery tools, Microsoft Exchange, patch management solutions, backup strategies, WINS, DHCP, DNS, and TCP/IP.
• Experience providing technical support and services to classroom and computer lab environments.
• Experience with DVD/VHS/CD components, Crestron, digital audio and video, projection systems and screens.