Tufts Dining is a self-operated food service provider managing a comprehensive collegiate food service program on the Tufts University Medford-Somerville campus delivering high quality, contemporary and innovative food and hospitality services to meet the various needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors in a fiscally responsible
manner. Our team operates a progressive resident dining program for approximately 4000 students as well as responsive retail services and a distinctive university catering program serving the campus community totaling 5100 undergraduates, 1700 graduate students, and 2300 faculty, staff and administrators.
What You'll Do
The Banquet Supervisor reports to the Service Manager of Tufts Catering and will be primarily responsible for the day-to-day coordination of the banquet operations for Tufts Catering including reading and understanding events sheets and coordinating the work of and working alongside servers, bartenders, stewards and other employees to organize, prepare, pack, deliver, set-up, serve and clean up the food, beverages, supplies and equipment for catered events scheduled throughout campus.
They will participate as a member of the unit leadership team to execute all manner of catering as needed.Specific responsibilities will include training and supervision of temporary and student event staff to execute event design, set-up, and service in a consistent and efficient manner to meet departmental objectives; planning and supervising the execution of event service for banquet events including but not limited to; hot and chilled plated meals, upscale receptions and buffets, and key client and/or VIP events; working with management to develop and improve set-up designs and execution of catering deliveries such as coffee set-ups, lunches, breaks, etc.; maintaining an accurate accounting of inventory of service wares, equipment and props; and working closely with management to manage table linen and rental equipment services in a cost effective manner.
The Banquet Supervisor will be responsible for proper cash handling and accurately accounting for all cash transactions as needed and proper equipment handling and accurately accounting for and caring for all catering equipment.
The Banquet Supervisor will be very comfortable with a high volume of customer contact and be able to deliver discrete and professional VIP service.
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years of high-volume catering experience.
- High school diploma/GED.
- Valid MA Driver’s License.
- Ability to use MS Office; E-mail; Internet.
- Lifting and moving 50# or more of food, beverages and/or equipment including banquet carts.
- Associate degree in Food Service/Hospitality or related field.
- Experience planning and executing events for high volume off-site caterer, institution or hotel.
- 2+ years of experience training and supervising catering staff or related.
- Willingness and ability to effectively communicate with a Spanish speaking work force.
- Bartending experience or solid knowledge of wines, spirits and cocktails.
- Culinary experience or solid knowledge of foods in high-end catering service or restaurants.
- Currently holds or willing and able to earn a food service sanitation certificate, responsible alcohol
service certificate; allergen awareness certificate; choke saver certificate.