Contracts and Grants Supervisor 2 (6216U), ProS Service Region
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 5, 2020
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
Welcome to the ProS Region!
The Professional Schools region (ProS) serves the University Extension, Berkeley Law, Goldman School of Public Policy, Haas School of Business, School of Optometry, School of Public Health, Graduate School of Education, School of Social Welfare and the School of Journalism.
We are extremely proud of the team we have put together and are working hard to provide faculty, staff, and students in our region with expert advice and reliable support services that foster academic and professional success.
Our aim is to build a team that is 100% committed to you. Over time, ProS team members are determined to become familiar with the unique issues, terminology, funders, sponsors, vendors, and circumstances in the ProS region that will enable us to provide service that you'll find responsive, meaningful and relevant.
- Supervises, provides training, and evaluates a staff of professional research administrators providing pre- and post-award services to PIs and PDs from campus.
- Ensures staff is consistently trained and following established procedures and practices for extramural funds accounting and sponsored projects administration.
- Recommends hiring of new employees, salary actions, terminations, and performance ratings.
- Defines roles, responsibilities, and skills needed for unit success.
- Determines quality of work, expectations, and sets deadlines.
- Develops and implements controls to ensure compliance with University and agency policies.
- Coordinates the operations/workflow of the service team with other areas of service within the Professional Schools Region.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for department or department operations.
- Manages changes to policies, procedures, processes which could affect service team.
- Makes recommendations to the Regional Director regarding effect of changing campus-wide policies and procedures.
- Is actively involved to meet schedules and resolve problems for the workload within the region and provides guidance and counsel on research administration matters to staff, PIs, and non-RA ProS clients.
- Maintains an active direct pre- and post-award workload to ensure that the supervisor understands the evolving workflow and has the capacity to suggest and implement workflow upgrades.
- Monitors relevant changes in University and sponsoring agencies policies and guidelines.
- Participates in training/educational sessions designed to increase knowledge of professional research administration concepts and practices, and University, and/or funding agency processes and policies.
- Communicates changes to staff and faculty as appropriate.
- Maintains current knowledge on compliance regulations in all areas of research administration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five years' experience working with federal and state contracts and grants, fiscal policies and procedures or related accounting experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of contracts and grants transactions and applicable financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Must be proficient in use of PI Portfolio, Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications used in the field of research administration management
- Strong inter-personal skills: service orientation, ability to multi-task effectively in a varied, high volume environment, judgment and decision-making, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of contracts and grants best practices.
- Excellent leadership abilities, sound judgment and decision making, critical thinking and creative problem solving.
- Ability to model a positive influence emphasizing team-building.
- Skills to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skills in conflict management techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of program administration guidelines of Federal and non-Federal sponsors supporting research and educational activities, preferably in university environment.
- Experience with all types of award mechanisms, including grants, contracts, subcontracts, cooperative agreements, et cetera.
- Demonstrated and successful supervisory experience.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Masters Degree or equivalent years experience/training.
- CRA Certification
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range $85,000.00 - $110,000.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=3598&PostingSeq=1