The Hirsh Health Sciences Library provides collections and services that support the educational, research, and patient care missions of Tufts University, and specifically all programs on the Health Sciences Campus. The Access Serivices Department is part of The Research and Instruction Services Department and is a highly visible and customer service-oriented department that assists patrons in person, on the phone, and electronically with various library services and resources. Representatives of this department assist users to access services and resources and circulate materials. They provide information about the library and its policies, assist patrons in scanning and printing, give referrals when appropriate, interacting closely with other library departments. They also perform other related activities.
What You'll Do
The Assistant Manager of Access Services is responsible for carrying out all the daily activities of the Library Service Desk, the primary service point of the Hirsh Library, in an effective, customer-oriented and professional manner. Duties include providing service to library patrons at the Library Service Desk. These services include providing basic reference help and point-of-need consultation and instruction to users for their information access questions, assisting users with access to the physical library and accessing resources on the website, and assisting users with printing and scanning, and creating and maintaining the reserves collection. Maintaining up-to-date documentation of polices and procedures. Interactions with patrons occur in person and electronically.
The person in this position will also use the circulation and acquisitions modules of the University Library’s integrated library system to circulate material, create and maintain patron records, and create, process and maintain reserve materials. They will also create and maintain the reserves collection by contacting faculty on a regular basis, and coordinating with library staff as needed for ordering new materials and processing existing materials.
Responsibilities also include in coordination with the Access Serivices Librarian and the Evening and Weekend Coordinator, creating, interpreting and applying library policies as appropriate, accurately referring users to appropriate staff members when needed for additional information, reference or technical questions. Staff use Qualtrics to create and run surveys for the library, some on a daily basis.
Additionally, this position will be on library and university committees as assigned, including but not limited to the Library PR Team; The Reserves and Reading Lists team; and backup on the University Library’s Circulation and Reserves Team .
This position will assist InterLibrary Loan/Document Delivery staff in data collecion and processing of materials.
This position offers many opportunities to develop skills necessary to a career in academic librarianship
What We're Looking For
- Years of related experence 1-3 years
- Requred education B.S or B.A
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, and use of an automated integrated library system
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, ability to interact and work with a diverse user group, outstanding customer service skills, excellent communication skills
- Experience in an academic or special library environment with knowledge of Ex Libris Alma/Primo/Leganto preferred.
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated high level of good judgment, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies and related skills.
- Must be helpful, approchable and flexible.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team and independently.
- Exhibit enthusiasm and initiative, and the ability to prioritize diverse responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Good organizational skills, and detail oriented.
- Ability to meet and exceed customer needs and expectations.
- Interest in pursuing academic library degree.
- Please include cover letter and resume with application.