The Reader 1 will assist the Admissions Committee in reading and evaluating applications for admissions to the Undergraduate (UGBA) program at the Haas School of Business.
Assist the Admissions Committee in reading and evaluating applications for admissions to the Undergraduate program at the Haas School of Business.
- Uses professional judgement to review complex applications for admissions to the Undergraduate program.
- Read and evaluate approximately 20-40 applications/week.
- Assesses applicants for motivation, initiative, leadership potential, work / life experience, extracurricular activities, socioeconomic status, disabilities, and educational / personal hardship.
- Evaluates transcripts for eligibility.
- Assesses academic preparedness of traditional, special-program, and international applicants.
- Review and verify applicants' resume. Review essays, self reported academics and test scores.
- Using extensive knowledge of college / school / department requirements and applicant pool, assesses the applicants' overall record and experience for final admissions determination and recommendation.
- Summarize applicants' strengths and weaknesses and provide input on applicant's candidacy in relation to the applicant pool.
- Consults with experienced level staff when reviewing more complex applications and for training.
- Thorough knowledge and experience working with a diverse student population.
- Demonstrates an understanding of University policies and procedures.
- Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of Undergraduate programs, including curricula and admissions requirements at colleges / universities and specifically at UC, and / or specific colleges and schools.
- Shows professionalism and effective communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and keen analytical skills to analyze and synthesize large amounts of information.
- Must be available to read between 15-20 hours each week during peak season.
- Available to attend department meetings, as necessary during normal business hours
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Experience working in a higher education admissions program.
- Demonstrates basic interviewing skills working with prospective students.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills while working independently and as a member of a team.
Salary & Benefits
Hourly pay is commensurate with experience upto $30.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 43% FTE (17.20 hours a week ) 900 hours limited appointment.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10580&PostingSeq=1