English/Writing Tutor (Full-time)
American International University – Kuwait City
for the 2021-2022 Academic year
American International University (AIU), located in Kuwait, invites applications for a full-time English/Writing Tutor to provide guidance and build confidence in student writing and work with students to improve writing processes. English/Writing Tutors help students overcome the obstacles and frustrations that may arise from the inability to understand and successfully apply grammar, punctuation, and other elements of writing. The ideal candidate will possess strong content knowledge in key writing processes including, but not limited to, drafting, revising, editing, and polishing written works.
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Success, English/Writing Tutors provide one-on-one and at times, small group tutoring sessions for students in the Student Success Writing Center. Tutoring is primarily facilitated through reserved sessions, however, drop-in sessions must also be available to promote additional access to Writing Center services. Working in concert with English faculty and instructors, this individual provides support to AIU students at all program levels and is responsible for promoting writing mastery on campus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate skill-based tutoring in all levels of English courses offered.
- Help students master course material by coaching them to independently complete their assignments.
- Develop and identify resources to tutor students and build writing skills and processes.
- Keep accurate records of tutoring attendance by course.
- Utilize excellent communication skills, enabling him/her to relate to students, faculty, and staff.
- Possess the ability to handle a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Support university and department initiatives.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Help students develop short and extended writing responses and various drafts of essays and other writings.
- Evaluate students to measure skill progression and determine improvement areas.
- Ensure awareness of the Writing Center’s free services through the website, social media, and digital signage presence.
- Coordinate and collaborate with tutors to offer engaging workshops and events to further engage students in the AIU community.
- Maintain a neat and orderly workspace.
- Arrive early to meet with students at pre-scheduled times.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
Skills and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in English, literature, comparative literature, composition, linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a specialization in reading, creative writing, journalism, education, educational psychology, or instructional psychology.
- Teaching or tutoring experience.
- Experience using technology to teach/tutor.
- The equivalent of the above will also be considered.
Preferred qualifications include experience teaching composition or other writing-intensive courses as an instructor and/or experience teaching English-language learners and/or international students.
- Experience in maintaining open, daily contact with administration, faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to provide consistent, excellent customer service within the AIU community.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs.
- Must be able to work with diverse populations.
About American International University:
AIU is a new institution of higher education in Kuwait whose first student cohort was admitted in fall 2019. It is a private, co-educational institution offering undergraduate degrees based on the American model of higher education, including a comprehensive general education curriculum. Through its educational and student services programming, the University serves the intellectual, cultural, and personal growth of all members of its community. AIU offers degree programs in Engineering, Architecture, and Design, and Business Administration where the language of instruction is English.
For more information about AIU visit: www.aiu.edu.kw
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please visit the Job Opportunities section of our webpage and submit your resume and cover letter: https://aiu.edu.kw/careers/jobs