The Preparator and Installer for UB Art Galleries provides preparation and installation duties for both UB Art Galleries. The position’s primary responsibility is the preparation of the gallery, and the preparation and installation of artwork for exhibitions at the UB Art Gallery, CFA. During the time between exhibitions at CFA, the Preparator and Installer will assist with projects at UB Anderson Gallery. The Preparator and Installer will also work closely with artists, curators, faculty and students.
- Receive, examine, pack and unpack art work with Registrar
- Prepare artwork for exhibition installation; this will include utilizing museum standards to properly mount or frame the art work.
- Prepare gallery for exhibition including: preparation of gallery space; assist exhibition design; and fabrication of exhibition support.
- Prepare artwork for shipping; utilizing museum standards for packaging art work.
- Transport artwork to and from UB offices, area museums and collections.
- Install artwork for exhibitions at both art galleries using museum standards.
- Prepare lighting and signage to meet exhibition installation requirements.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Bachelors Degree
- One year experience of handling, preparing, installing and mounting a variety of two and three-dimensional objects, including gallery lighting, packing and transporting works of art and fabrication of exhibition furniture.
- Excellent museum fabrication skills for exhibitions.
- Ability to routinely lift and move large scale or heavy art work.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to work as a team member and independently
- Ability to carry out instructions precisely while working under deadline pressure
- Obtain a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS or otherwise demonstrate ability to meet the transportation needs of the position
Ability to routinely lift 75 pounds; work on a lift up to 30 feet.