Provides Mental Health Services to students in order to promote emotional health, student success and retention. Provides psychological intake, assessment, crisis intervention, personal counseling/psychotherapy, case management, consultation and referral services. Collaborates with other staff and faculty to enhance services to students by demonstrating a commitment to supporting, empowering and retaining students from underrepresented groups.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Mental Health Counselor is a mental health professional supporting Student Mental Health Wellness. The Counselor will participate in "Wellness activities"; such as providing referrals to community services; regular consultation with students, faculty and staff; and participating in presentations, events and other activities furthering the idea of Wellness on campus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Provide personal short-term and crises counseling services through direct contact with students individually, in groups and screenings.
* Develop student, faculty and staff training/workshops.
* Develop student, faculty and staff educational/resource materials.
* Provide referrals that empower students to identify and utilize college and community support services.
* Provide individual assessment, and counseling to students seeking assistance with personal, psychological or interpersonal problems.
* Develop and implement preventive, educational and outreach programming to students who are often marginalized or minoritized.
* Keep timely, appropriate, and accurate clinical records.
* Participate in departmental meetings, group supervision, and continuing education; continuously seek to improve the quality of services.
* Assist in assessing student psychological or wellness needs; collaborate with the college's
* Present educational programs to members of the college community to promote personal, interpersonal and psychological health.
* Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse, and respectful college community.
* Assist in research relevant to assessing student needs and describing student behavior and culture; assist in the evaluation of the effectiveness of counseling and other services and activities.
* Performs other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.