Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Administrative Assistant (4722C), Othering & Belonging Institute 20444
University of California, Berkeley
The Administrative Assistant is a key staff position that possesses administrative skills and customer-service orientation in support of the Institute. The Administrative Assistant operates with a high degree of independence and oversees various tasks and assignments ensuring the administrative processes and office operations of the Institute run smoothly and efficiently.
- Develops and maintains online administrative tools, databases and tracking spreadsheets.
- Oversees student hiring process in coordination with HR and program managers.
- Helps onboard new staff, summer fellows and student workers.
- Books domestic and international travel for staff and supports them in submitting travel and entertainment reimbursements, ensuring accuracy and compliance.
- Maintains Institute calendar and online filing systems, accounts and subscriptions.
- Oversees inventory of office equipment and supplies and determines ongoing inventory needs, orders supplies and verifies receipt of supplies.
- Coordinates with campus support units on maintenance and other services such as IT and Mail.
- Provides a variety of HR support including submitting ServiceNow tickets for HR action.
- Supports EveryAction administration, maintenance, troubleshooting and data migration tasks based on input from staff and proactively improves and customizes EveryAction to suit the Institute's needs.
- Supports Administrative Officer in donation and gift recognition.
- Acts as the initial point of contact for visitors and e-based inquiries.
- Develops and manages efficient workflow mechanisms.
- Assist Administrative Officer with all-staff meetings and collecting agenda items.
Purchasing and Procurement
- Supports all stages of vendor and contractor procurement and coordinates with program staff and vendors/suppliers to receive required forms and documentation.
- Prepares, submits and tracks purchase order requisitions; receives and submits invoices; tracks payout cycle; and proactively communicates with vendors/suppliers on payment expectations.
- Ensures all budget approvals and appropriate back-up documentation is obtained for all expenses and adhere to campus and departmental policies and procedures.
- Troubleshoots and resolves vendor/supplier issues.
- Supports the Administrative Officer in reconciling departmental finance ledger issues.
- Coordinates and executes event and meeting logistics including room reservations, catering, supplies, A/V, parking, registrations, etc.
- Assist internal teams with Zoom tech during virtual workshops and events.
- Independently develops and implements protocols for regular meetings and events.
- Coordinates logistics with campus and off campus vendors, volunteers, and staff.
- Assist with biannual national conference and occasional weekend and evening events.
- Coordinate internal staff get togethers and holidays parties.
Responsible for keeping the office and office materials orderly, clean and organized.
Other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to:
- Supervise and delegate tasks to Student Admin Assistant.
- Participate in the Summer Fellowship and the Building Safety Committee.
- Demonstrated interest in Institute research areas.
- Experience providing administrative support in a busy work environment, including maintaining calendars, event planning, reimbursements, and booking travel.
- Knowledge of financial and HR processes, policies and procedures.
- Must be extremely detail oriented to ensure all documents and calculations are correct prior to submission.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize disparate and large volumes of work using excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret written departmental and campus policies and procedures and effectively communicate them to staff, students and vendors/suppliers.
- Excellent computer skills and fluency with various software applications (Word, Excel, Adobe, Canva).
- Demonstrated competence in the use of spreadsheets and databases to assist with analysis, management, and reporting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to show respect and empathy to staff, faculty, students and vendors/suppliers by listening and helping problem solve in a professional and compassionate manner, and being responsive to their needs.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse, multicultural work teams and constituents.
- Flexible and adaptable and ability to keep a positive perspective.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and good follow-up skills communicating with staff, vendors and campus partners.
- Able to staff off site, after hours or weekend events as needed.
- At least 3 years of administrative support experience.
- Knowledge of common campus software, systems and protocols (BearBuy, ServiceNow, Connexxus, BFS)
- Experience using EveryAction and/or other similar database systems.
- Working experience in accounting, event planning, grant development/fundraising or human resources.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, biweekly paid position. Hourly salary is commensurate with experience up to $30.07 (Step 8.0).
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20444&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |