Undergraduate Academic Advisor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Under the supervision of the Department Chair of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and/or designated associate department chairs, the
Academic Advisor position will provide academic advising for ECE undergraduate students majoring in electrical engineering and computer engineering and assist with related academic administrative matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise prospective and current undergraduate students in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering about academic program requirements and provide guidance on choosing and completing a program or concentration.
- Participate in and lead recruitment events, information sessions, and orientations for prospective and new students.
- Enter, evaluate, and audit student data in Workday Student to ensure students are progressing through their academic programs in a timely manner and to certify completion of course and non-course requirements for graduation.
- Manage responses to inquiries from prospective students about electrical and computer engineering undergraduate programs and Stevens, in general.
- Serve as primary point of contact to the department chair, associate department chairs, faculty advisors, department staff and current undergraduate students in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering regarding school policies and procedures from admission to graduation.
- Coordinate communications to students regarding departmental and college regulations as it relates to program requirements and the graduation process and coordinate mandatory advisement sessions
- Advise current students on on-campus course, web, international and non-course opportunities to enhance professional skills, competencies and career readiness.
- Work closely with the Department Chair of Electrical and Computer Engineering and assist the Department Chair on other tasks that enhance student learning experience and career success.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Preferred Education: Master’s degree
- Required Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience in academic advising
- Preferred Experience: Familiarity with electrical and computer engineering programs.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills with ability to develop rapport with and positively influence a diverse audience.
- Ability to partner with leadership to develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline while managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines.
Stevens values diversity and seeks candidates who can contribute to a welcoming climate for students, faculty and staff of all races and genders. We are an NSF ADVANCE institution committed to equitable practices and policies and strongly encourage applications from qualified women and minority candidates, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens offers an intellectually vibrant, diverse, highly interdisciplinary, collaborative, innovative and entrepreneurial community, and is a great place to work.
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Compensation: Grade 5
Electrical and Computer Engineering
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.