Custodial Supervisor (5187U), Facilities Services - 27095 - 1359
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 1, 2019
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
- Supervises the daily activities of custodial employees.
- Is responsible for the day-to-day delivery of services to his/her area.
- Duties include supervising a staff of approximately 26 - 34 people assigning and reviewing work, assuring that work quality and work frequency
standards are met.
- Fostering positive relations with clients assuring that staff has the supplies and equipment needed to do their jobs, training staff with respect to safe
work practices and proper use of equipment and products.
- Evaluating employee performance, and participating in the progressive discipline of staff.
- Assigns work orders to appropriate crew leaders.
- Responds to complaints and requests from clients.
- Meets with clients regularly to review service delivery and clients' concerns.
- Keeps clients informed with respect to changes in staffing and service delivery.
- Reports job related injuries and illnesses according to established procedures.
- Develops and monitors modified assignments for injured or ill employees.
- Assures that employees submit proper medical documentation when injured or ill.
- Responsible for performance management.
- Counsels employees concerning performance and other problems.
- Documents problems and counseling sessions.
- Keeps supervisor informed of problems and recommends disciplinary action.
- Helps manage discipline cases.
- Evaluates performance of all assigned staff annually.
- Recommends merit increases and merit-bonus awards.
- Maintains scheduling within prescribed budgetary guidelines.
- Submits payroll information for all of his/her employees online.
- Reports time worked on jobs on-line.
- Approves and schedules vacation leave for his/her subordinates.
- Serves as a member of Custodial Services' management team.
- Collects data, fill ins for subordinates in their absence, and performs other duties as needed.
- Plans, organizes and directs routine custodial operations.
- Assures that work is done on time and to standard.
- Works with crew leaders to resolve service-delivery problems.
- Participates in Quality Assurance Program by performing inspections according to set schedule.
- Trains and supervises the custodial staff to maintain an orderly, safe, and efficient cleaning operation.
- Assures that employees are trained with respect to custodial methods that only authorized equipment and products are used and that they are used properly, and that employees observe safe work practices.
- Assures that safety training is conducted monthly.
- Submits training reports to his/her supervisor and Facilities Services safety officer.
- Requires knowledge in the care and use of power equipment.
- Tests new equipment and products.
- Makes recommendations with respect to adding same to the program.
- Maintains proper inventory needs and purchase inventory.
- Enforces safety, hazardous materials and custodial policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Maintains file of Material Safety Data Sheets. Reports safety hazards and vandalism.
- Requests services from other Facilities Services units via the web server.
- Enforces bio-hazardous materials and equipment and clean room policies and procedures.
- Enforces proper handling and mixture of chemicals.
- Advance knowledge in custodial and housekeeping services.
- Supervisor or Lead experience
- Motivating performance
- Knowledgeable in controlling resources.
- Expert knowledge in diagnosing problems and designing solutions to complex social issues that are common in housekeeping.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand written custodial department policies and procedures, safety policies and procedures, and other University policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions related to maintenance and custodial operations, and the ability to train others in these areas
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language, active listening, flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management.
- Working knowledge of and ability for decision making, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and perform operations analysis, and quality control analysis.
- Working knowledge and skill in effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other personnel.
- Ability to effectively work with staff and students from diverse backgrounds and who speak multiple languages
- Basic computer skills with the ability to learn new programs and hardware.
- Blood born pathogen and sharps disposal training preferred.
- Certification and/or equivalent experience/ training to be considered in the subject matter of housekeeping.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Salary range for the role is commensurate w/ experience, within the range of $41,200.00 - $65,000.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1359&PostingSeq=1