Financial Services Analyst 2 (4627U), School of Public Health - 33628
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Berkeley Public Health (BPH) aims to improve population health, especially for the most vulnerable, through interdisciplinary collaborations, preeminent education, and transformational research. Established in 1943, BPH is a professional school on the UC Berkeley campus that comprises six academic divisions and nearly 30 research centers and programs. Our department's values include social justice, health as a right, challenging conventional thought, embracing diversity, and creating meaningful impact. We honor our principles of community by centering and valuing everyone in our community; prioritizing prevention while remaining grounded in social justice; promoting safety and respect; practicing self-care and kindness; and remaining optimistic, hopeful, and committed to change.
Learn more at publichealth.berkeley.edu
This position will support the financial operations of the Forum for Collaborative Research (Forum). The Forum founded in 1997, is a public/private collaboration addressing cutting-edge science and policy issues through a process of stakeholder engagement. The mission of the Forum is to facilitate collaborative research in drug development. The Forum has a unique and complex structure that includes stakeholder partners such as patients/patient advocates, academia, governmental agencies, industry, payors, professional societies and other relevant entities.
This position will be housed at the Forum offices located at the UCDC Campus in Washington, DC.
Learn more about the Forum at https://forumresearch.org/
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 14, 2022
- Applies professional financial and accounting concepts to independently perform analyses of moderately complex financial services related to fundraising support including assisting with development of grant budgets, drafting of grant spending reports and reconciliation reports. ;
- Prepares reports and analyses to include summaries of financial transactions, evaluation of current and proposed services, etc. for management review and decision-making.
- Under general supervision, researches and gathers information from a variety of sources; prepares and summarizes information and reports relative to new services, regulatory compliance issues and / or vendor selection and support activities.
- Research also a variety of sources, including websites, and financial documents to identify new donors.
- Assists with ensuring that financial processing functions which may include accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, recharge billing, travel / entertainment, gift accounting, cashiering and collections are performed with accuracy and that daily operations run smoothly.
- Responsibilities include, review and monitor sponsorship payments, process account payables and set up new vendors and sponsors in the system, and files appropriate documentation and maintains accounts payable files.
- Conducts or assists with researching, developing and implementing new and changing business processes.
- Reviews, processes, and approves standardized financial data and transactions.
- Effectively addresses difficult and complex customer inquiries.
- Works closely with the Deputy Director to resolve invoice or other financial related discrepancies concerning purchase orders, invoices, and sponsors payments.
- Documents processes and procedures for financial activities.
- Assist with database reconciliations, journal entries, accounts payable, and financial statements reporting.
- Functions as a resource to support the Deputy Director on issues such as researching financial discrepancies, customer service problems and vendor concerns.
- Working knowledge of financial processes, policies and procedures.
- Strong knowledge of financial data management and reporting systems including MS Office and Salesforce.
- Ability to create and interpret spreadsheets and prepare financial data analysis.
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheet and database software; researching information from websites, online services and databases; and an ability to interpret, analyze, and summarize biographical and financial data.
- Strong interpersonal skills, analytical skills, service orientation, active listening, critical thinking, attention to detail, ability to multi-task in a high volume environment, and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Ability to quickly learn and/or intermediate knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources.
- Must be detail-oriented with strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, work within deadlines, and manage multiple tasks.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, 40-hours per week, Contract (temporary) position. This position is located in Washington, D.C.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=33628&PostingSeq=1