The Clinical Sciences faculty (~60) has teaching and clinical responsibilities to the veterinary students and hospital respectively, as well as individual research pursuits and administrative obligations. Approximately 60 residents and interns, matched through the national VIRMP program rotate through the department/hospital on three and one-year cycles, respectively. The administrative staff supports the faculty, residents and interns, the Chair and Department Manager. The department has a large budget and many discretionary and research accounts.
What You'll Do
This position will be in a comparative genomics cancer research laboratory with a focus on the molecular and genetic features of canine cancer. It will involve a variety laboratory related tasks under the general supervision of Dr. Heather Gardner at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University.
As a Research Technician in Clincial Sciences, the primary tasks include:
- Assisting investigators with ongoing experiments in the laboratory, which may include mammalian cell culture, western blotting, PCR, bio-sample processing and preparation (e.g. nucleic acid extraction, cryopreservation), library preparation and sequencing.
- General lab maintenance, assisting with record keeping and ordering supplies.
- Substantial data recording and maintenance of lab records.
The individual will be expected to take on new and/or additional duties as skills improve as lab needs change.
Strong applicants will have familiarity with basic statistics and computer-based data visualization (Microsoft office, Prism and R). Department Summary
This is a one-year position funded by a grant and the Department of Clinical Sciences. Continuation of this position beyond one-year is dependent on obtaining additional funding
What We're Looking For
- At least one year of laboratory experience performing molecular techniques is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in biological sciences
- Basic computer skills
- No previous NGS library preparation experience is required, however the successful candidate will have previous experience in molecular laboratory techniques (e.g. PCR, etc).
Minimum $19.30, Midpoint $23.15, Maximum $27.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.