Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Department Manager (7377U) - 24844
University of California, Berkeley
Department Manager (7377U) - 24844
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Energy and Resources Group is a collaborative community of graduate students, core faculty, 200 affiliated faculty and researchers across the campus, and over 600 alumni across the globe. We award MA, MS, PhD, and Minor degrees to students working across disciplines and departments to create potentially transformative knowledge for the planet and its people. ERG is a world-renowned program with a 50-year history of outstanding research, education and outreach to government, industry, and civil society at the state, national and international levels.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 21, 2021
- Manages, plans and administers a range of administrative operations in a small to medium academic department, or a small to medium nonacademic department or program.
- Hires, trains, supervises, manages, evaluates, develops and delegates administrative operations tasks to a team of staff, students, and contractors to complete office operations work as well as specialized or professional projects such as web development and marketing support.
- Administrative operations include budgetary financial management and human resources and may include some of the following functions: IT, facilities, student services, and / or contracts and grants.
- Provides budget and financial management for moderate to complex unit operations and special assistance to faculty for complex financial matters;
- Advises the department Chair on all resource matters: financial, budgetary, and physical space.
- Manages unit purchasing and independent contractor hiring;
- Serves as resource for pre- and post-contracts and grants work as needed: interprets regulations and guidelines on grants and/or contracts, drafts proposals, ensures expenses are paid according to contract, monitors contract and grant expenditures.
- Develops and prepares budgets and financial reports for funding which may be complex.
- Plans, develops, and manages revenue generation and special programs, including summer-only minor and certificate program;
- Supports the development and operations of online courses;
- Develops and directs marketing and outreach strategies;
- Prepares business plans, including identifying and utilizing campus resources, market analysis, budget and revenue projections, and coordination of group idea generation and decision-making processes.
- Coordinates and participates in a variety of human resources activities including employment, training, classification, and ensuring the completion of forms and documents related to HR and Payroll for unit / department.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial and HR reports.
Oversees unit human resources:
- Coordinates faculty searches, including search committee organization, adherence to campus policies, administration of online recruitment system, management of recruitment strategies, application management, applicant communications, organization of candidate visits, and hiring processes;
- Recruits, hires, trains, and manages lecturers;
- Hires, orients, and guides work of contractors;
- Tracks hiring of GSIs and GSRs for the unit;
- Coordinates with RCNR and BRS HR on the management of payroll and human resources activities;
- Supports unit faculty as needed with lab employee, postdoctoral scholar, and visiting scholar and researcher recruitment, hiring, orientation, space, and other HR.
- May supervise a small staff of support employees and / or students.
- Directs and supervises unit website, social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, blog) email newsletters, mailing list, and event communications;
- Designs and creates print and promotional materials for marketing, recruitment, and events;
- Primary administrator for custom Salesforce database for managing network of alumni, affiliates, prospects, and followers.
- Performs studies for resource plans, including approaches, trends, sources and uses.
Supervises unit development, fundraising, and events:
- Plans and manages community and alumni outreach, including, but not limited to periodic newsletters, events for community and donor participation (such as Big Give);
- Meets regularly with active alumni support organization, ERGAN, and serve as Chair's Designee on ERGAN board;
- Assists Chair and RCNR Dean's Office with strategy and donor cultivation.
- Organizes ERG Annual Lecture, ERG Commencement, annual fall new student welcome events, annual winter gathering.
Organizes unit governance practice and policy, and strategic planning:
- Updates and monitors compliance with unit by-laws;
- Coordinates and participates in unit governance through the organization of committees for Core Faculty, Executive Advisory Committee, Diversity Committee, Development Committee, unit-wide town hall meetings, student groups, and ad hoc committees, workgroups, and meetings.
- Leads organization of external reviews, strategic planning process, and strategic planning for equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Supports Chair and faculty with faculty FTE planning and response to annual faculty FTE call.
- Responsible for student services for Sustainability Certificate and Minor.
- Shares oversight of graduate student services with ERG GSAO.
- Advises Chair on student services and student affairs for all programs.
- Oversees unit space planning, facilities, and IT.
- Manages renovations, moves, and lab spaces for new, and retiring faculty.
- Acts as unit safety coordinator.
- Represents the department on business affairs to the institution community at the college, campus level, system-wide, and externally; Serves on committees and working groups.
- Thorough knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, accounting and fund management, and / or personnel management.
- Thorough knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques, human resources policies and procedures for staff and academic employees.
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly learn common University-specific computer application programs.
- Strong skills in short term planning, analysis and problem solving and customer service.
- Interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operational activities such as event planning, basic fundraising processes, risk management planning, website design, accounting and payroll, and contracts and grants regulations and guidelines.
- Solid knowledge of or ability to quickly learn common University-specific computer application programs.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques, and / or human resources policies and procedures for staff and academic employees.
- Knowledge of HR administration operation policies and procedures.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $69,200.00 - $90,558.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=24844&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |