Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
General Assistant (Multiple Departments) - Short Term
General Assistant (Multiple Departments) - Short Term
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Temporary, Hourly/Short-Term
Job Number: 2023-01682
Closing: 6/30/2024 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Hybrid (Online and On-site at Aptos and Watsonville), CA
Department: Human Resources
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
Cabrillo College currently has multiple short-term, part-time positions available to assist various departments. Under general supervision, these positions will provide a variety of routine-to-difficult clerical support to various campus offices, which may include receptionist duties, word processing, record keeping, and filing, and performing related duties as required or assigned.
As this is a continuous recruitment, your application will stay on file until a position becomes available; you will be contacted as positions become available.
Starting Salary Range: $17 to $19 per hour. Short-term, part-time assignment, Monday through Friday, with hours to be determined. This is a non-benefitted position.
Note: You may be called by more than one department after applying for this short-term position. Applications will be screened by appropriate department representatives on an as-needed basis. Qualified applicants who best meet the needs of the division will be contacted for an interview. Each year, part-time pools will be refreshed and applicants will be notified of the opportunity to re-submit application. It is in the best interest of applicants to be as detailed as possible in the application so that we may connect your skill sets with the departments seeking short-term assistance.
Examples of Duties
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Performs front counter and routine program/department customer service duties; answers, screens and refers telephone calls; greets and directs visitors to the appropriate staff member or department; answers written and verbal inquiries for standard information.
- Formats, types, proofreads, edits and prints correspondence, forms, reports, schedules, rosters, documents and materials; creates forms, charts, tables and spreadsheets involving data extraction and manipulation; reviews documents for clerical accuracy, completeness and compliance with District and department requirements.
- Tracks and enters/scans student, departmental and financial data into appropriate systems; maintains a variety of standard office records and files; creates and maintains spreadsheets and databases to track students, files, projects, activities and services; extracts data and reports for reporting.
- Schedules and cancels appointments and testing; sets up, maintains and posts department and staff calendars and room reservation calendars; maintains supply of departmental or program forms materials and supplies.
- Makes meeting and event arrangements including typing and distributing agendas, facility requests, setup and cleanup; contacts other departments or vendors for food orders, supplies and audio-visual equipment; assists with day of meeting logistics.
- Prepares and compiles packets of materials; receives, opens, sorts and distributes office mail; prepares regular and bulk mailings; copies various documents and materials, including large duplication orders; duplicates, assembles and distributes packets; requests printing services.
- Collects and processes a variety of payments for permits, fees, fines and sales; safeguards student and customer privacy; balances and reconciles cash drawers; may distribute vouchers following established guidelines.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Provides backup for other departments' administrative support staff.
- Maintains office supply inventory.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation, of community college students, faculty and staff; AND
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent AND some clerical support experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment including knowledge of computers and applicable software programs.
- Customer service practices and telephone etiquette.
- Practices and techniques of sound business communication; correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Provide customer service in person and over the phone.
- Review applications and forms for completeness and accuracy.
- Type accurately at a speed necessary to meet the requirements of the position.
- Track and report statistical information utilizing complex spreadsheets and databases.
- Learn applicable sections of the California Education Code, Title V and other applicable laws.
- Learn the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and other District, state and federal laws, rules, regulations and policies governing student records.
- Perform mathematical calculations.
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential student issues and situations.
- Organize, set priorities and exercise sound, independent judgment within areas of responsibility.
- Maintain confidentiality of District and student files and records.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Uphold the District's mission, values and objectives including equity and Guided Pathways.
- Support an inclusive work environment that fosters diversity, respect and engagement.
- Complete application & answer all supplemental questions
- Attach resume (optional)
Please note: As this is a continuous recruitment, your application will stay on file until a position becomes available; you will be contacted as positions become available.
Only completed applications will be reviewed. Attachments are optional, however encouraged for this position. Cabrillo is unable to sponsor work visas.
Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. Hiring managers will contact you directly. Most notifications will be via email, and can also be accessed through your application profile.
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu/jobs/4168969/general-assistant-multiple-departments-short-term
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |