Office Coordinator (4722C), Haas School of Business 35961
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business offers a unique opportunity to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and continually learn in a workplace committed to increasing diversity and creating a welcoming environment for all. Our distinctive culture is captured within our four Defining Leadership Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. These principles distinguish Berkeley Haas as a unique environment, conducive to teamwork, collaboration, and career growth.
For more information about the Haas School of Business visit: https://haas.berkeley.edu/about/
This position sits in the Master of Financial Engineering Degree program office. The Master of Financial Engineering Degree is a one-year graduate program for students interested in pursuing careers in quantitative finance, financial technology as well as data science.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 05/31/2022.
Applies somewhat complex spreadsheet formulas, pivot tables, and similar functions. Compiles and arrays spreadsheets using subject-matter knowledge of the material to ensure data results are consistent with the nature of the data. May analyze trends.
- Analysis which may be conducted includes pulling metrics on job postings, career services statistics, and admissions statistics including data and metrics on class profiles and application trends.
Works with faculty and MFE staff to plan and manage schedules for all courses throughout the academic cycle. Prepares correspondence and other written materials for department management and/or faculty requiring some specialized knowledge of the subject matter. Edits and proofreads written materials for content consistency.
- Creates surveys and forms which are used for soliciting feedback from students on courses, events, and general programming. Provides results to the program director and other staff members as required.
Determines need for general office equipment and supplies.
- Develops and implements procedures for supply inventory and to keep equipment in good working condition. Orders all necessary office supplies, gifts for students, as well as food for students.
Supports the unit's administrative processes.
- Manages student and staff calendar. Books meetings and events for staff and students. Facilitates scheduling of meetings for program director. Coordinates and schedules interviews for students when required. Manages booking/travel for alumni, guest speakers and MFE office staff. Posts jobs on behalf of MFE career services. Provides guidance to student staff on procedures, practices, and implementation of policies, including those which are particularly complex. Supports team meetings with agendas, notes, and follow-up. Responds to inquiries about the program and ensures appropriate staff are notified of questions and concerns.
Supports budget preparation/tracking and other financial activities for the unit.
- Reconciles budgets and processes invoices for a variety of vendors; is looked upon as the main office resource for all expense and invoice processing. Creates purchase order requests and submits invoices for payment including non-travel/entertainment reimbursements. Reconciles application fees, deposits, and all payments/checks coming into the MFE office.
Coordinates large, complex conferences/meetings/programs.
- Administers facilities and space logistics and manages equipment needs. Manages bookings for all events and works with both internal and external parties to ensure event spaces are adequately booked and managed including event vendors such as catering, florist, among others. Manages mailing and shipment (e.g. shipping tablecloth & marketing collateral to admission event sites).
Professional Learning and Growth
- Embraces the principle of being a "student always" by engaging in opportunities for training, workshops, seminars, continuing education pertinent to the position, or at the suggestion of the supervisor. Actively contributes to a team environment that fosters and promotes a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) within the unit and at Haas. Engages in ongoing education to promote diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging by completing University sponsored certifications & training sessions (Ie: MEP Workshop, Implicit Bias Certification, LinkedIn Learning workshops, and other workshops & seminars offered by the University or Haas, as they are made available) or by engaging in external seminars & resources related to DEIB. Exemplifies Haas' four Defining Leadership Principles: (1) Question the status quo; (2) Confidence without attitude; (3) Students always; and (4) Beyond yourself.
- Demonstrated working experience with business related computer software such as: MS Office Suite , Adobe Software Suite and Google Suite and can quickly learn new technologies and database applications. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, active listening, critical thinking, multi-tasking and time management skills. Strong interpersonal and persuasive skills to provide guidance to other nonexempt personnel. Excellent interpersonal skills, including demonstrating a desire to promote diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging to establish and maintain positive & professional working relationships with colleagues, students and team members. Exemplifies Haas' four Defining Leadership Principles: (1) Question the status quo; (2) Confidence without attitude;(3) Students always; and (4) Beyond yourself. Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in a business, organization or public university setting. Working experience with a variety of administrative operational procedures and processes such as event planning, and contracts guidelines. Demonstrates discretion and maintains confidentiality. Strong attention to detail and manages & prioritizes competing deadlines and tasks. Strong analytical skills to review current operational processes and make recommendations for improvements and make recommendations for further efficiencies. Familiar with balancing budgets, processing invoices, non-travel/entertainment reimbursements processing and other accounting and billing related activities.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience.
- Thorough knowledge of or can quickly learn, University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, accounting and invoice processing.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) non-exempt position, hourly pay is commensurate with experience up to Step 9.0 / $30.79.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=35961&PostingSeq=1