Purchasing Services Specialist (7380U) - 7125
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 6, 2020
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
The Purchasing Services Specialist demonstrates professional skills as a seasoned, experienced purchasing administrator to review complex low dollar contracts and service agreements. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions, including identifying potential issues within the purchasing lifecycle. Ensures compliance with UCOP regulations on determining if an order is construction or maintenance. Must be able to understand when orders require proper insurance, need to go to labor relations and or escalated to a Senior Buyer. Uses Maximo and campus procurement systems (Bear Buy, Pcard and BFS) for all facilities purchase orders under 10k.
- Prepares and executes a high volume of service contracts and materials and next day purchasing under 10k.
- Reviews complex contract documents.
- Researches and finds alternative products/materials for all internal clients.
- Counsels campus departments in the execution of agreements and provides appropriate business, policy and legal vendor review.
- Participates in contractor the vendor selection process in accordance with relevant policies, rules and regulations, etc.
- Receives quotes and reviews quotations.
- May make awards for under 10k and document transactions for audit purposes.
- Evaluates all information and obtains additional information as required to arrive at sound business decisions.
- Assesses, recommends and implements changes as needed to ensure purchasing and financial processes maintain compliance with federal and state requirements and internal financial/audit policies.
- Selects appropriate contracting/purchasing methods based on departmental needs.
- Applies financial services concepts to resolve issues and prepares business process procedures and policy recommendations.
- Documents internal department policies and procedures.
- Ensures that financial processing functions, which include detailed data entry, chart-strings and account codes, vendor inquiries, and reaching out to vendors performed by lower level staff or students are completed with accuracy.
- Trains staff and students on Maximo order entry and processes.
- Applies a wide variety of internal and external policies and regulations to address a range of issues such as regulatory compliance, knowledge of tax implications in the creation of purchase orders, risk management and the organized implementation of a diverse range of financial services for the department.
- Investigates and mediates departmental and or vendor complaints, including coordination between multiple parties.
- Recommends and implements quality customer service standards and procedures to affect various constituencies, including internal departments and external vendors.
- Thorough knowledge of internal departmental/unit operating policies (or ability to quickly learn), applicable state and federal regulations and general contract terms.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of specific contracting assignments.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills; and ability to deal effectively with broad and diverse constituencies ensuring strong customer service orientation and skills.
- Strong organizational, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Strong listening and political acumen skills.
- Strong knowledge of the campus, including its infrastructure, goals, mission, rules, policies, guidelines, or ability to quickly learn.
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills, analytical skills, service orientation, active listening, critical thinking, attention to detail, ability to multi-task in a high volume environment, organizational skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, sound judgement and decision-making; ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Leadership skills to provide guidance, coaching and mentoring to professional and support staff.
- Knowledge of Maximo and campus systems or the ability to learn.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $67,500.00 - $98,900.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=7125&PostingSeq=1