Swim Lesson Instructor (4128U) 5794
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 2/22/2022
The Cal Youth Camps Swim Lesson Program offers a comprehensive & engaging Learn to Swim Program. We are looking for enthusiastic, caring and well qualified staff to teach and oversee our swim lessons to children between the ages of 5-13 years. Lessons are located at the beautiful Strawberry Canyon pool and the Golden Bear Pool in the Berkeley hills. These are temporary summer and fall positions.
Child Supervision & Class Management
- Effectively teach swimming skills and water safety to children in a progressive sequence.
- Run organized and well executed classes.
- Incorporate diverse and fun activities into lessons.
- Assess participant swimming skills for appropriate level placement and for completing progress reports.
- Interact with every child in the class for each lesson and avoid playing favorites.
- Maintain a safe class atmosphere and keep constant watch over participants.
- Follow check-in/out procedures.
- Walk children safely between meeting location and pool, monitor locker room changes when applicable.
- Demonstrate good judgement.
- Resolve disciplinary problems appropriately, complete Incident Reports as needed.
- Demonstrate responsibility in regard to work schedule, meetings & trainings.
- Demonstrate responsibility toward equipment, e.g. clipboard, pool toys, pool covers and supplies (keep in order, well maintained, and return to their proper location).
- Complete and submit paperwork accurately and on time (course record sheets, progress reports, attendance, timesheets, lesson plans, etc.).
- Maintain and submit copy of current certifications as listed in the job description.
- Follow all aquatic program, pool facility, camp, and emergency policies & procedures.
- Dress in appropriate and well-maintained attire/uniform while instructing; instructors are required to purchase their own navy blue one-piece or two-piece workout swimsuit.
- Maintain a positive attitude while working, help wherever needed, work well with co-workers
- Display good customer service skills, especially with the public, parents, and recreational swimmers.
- Accept feedback and make necessary corrections.
- Display appropriate behavior (action and language) around campers, parents, and staff.
- Perform miscellaneous tasks as requested by supervisor.
- Valid American Red Cross First Aid Certification, or ability to acquire certification upon hire.
- Valid American Red Cross CPR and AED for Adult and Child Certification, or ability to acquire certification upon hire.
- Ability to work and relate well with children (ages 6 months -18 years old).
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a temporary contract positon ending 10/12/2020. Sumer and Fall camps.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5794&PostingSeq=1