Systems Administrator 2 (7303U) 2166 - 2166
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 5, 2019.
The California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences (QB3) is a cooperative effort between the state of California, private industry, venture capital, and the University of California campuses at Berkeley, San Francisco, and Santa Cruz. In order to stimulate discovery at the intersection of the physical and biological sciences, QB3 promotes multidisciplinary research at world-class facilities, creates innovative educational programs, and fosters industry partnerships. The Institute's more than 180 researchers decipher the complex systems involved in living systems and discover ground-breaking applications for that basic knowledge in the areas of health, energy, and the environment.
- Applies professional concepts to implement network communications and solutions.
- Under general supervision, implements system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
- Under general supervision, manages centralized computer servers.
- Analyzes, installs, modifies and supports operating systems, databases, utilities and Internet/intranet-related tools.
- Applies professional concepts to conduct systems programming and systems support activities.
- Operates campus' internal data communications systems, including LANs and WANs.
- Under general supervision, implements networked systems.
- Assists with execution of security control to prevent hackers from infiltrating campus information.
- Assists with maintenance of security systems for routers and switches.
- Applies professional concepts to administer security policies to control access to systems.
- Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner, both in writing and verbally.
- Must have very good understanding of system performance issues and the actions needed to improve or correct performances.
- Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Requires knowledge of other areas of IT.
- Linux Server/Desktop in depth knowledge.
- Computer clusters setup/management.
- Windows installation and configuration.
- Security on the Linux/Windows environments.
- Networking,encryption and firewalls.
- Virtual machines / hypervisors.
- Servers HW and RAID disk systems knowledge.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part time career appointment at 50% FTE.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2166&PostingSeq=1