This position oversees all aspects of payroll processing for a diverse function, which produces 1,200 bi-weekly paychecks and issues approximately 2,500 W-2’s annually across five different companies. The position is responsible for supervising a three person staff.
The Payroll Manager is responsible for gaining knowledge of all aspects of the payroll process in order to create and maintain documentation of procedures and to recommend enhancements that will increase accuracy and improve efficiency.
The Payroll Manager possesses a complete understanding of standard payroll practices and procedures.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Ensure accurate and timely bi-weekly payroll and fellowship processing in a multi-company environment
- Calculate and deduct appropriate amounts from payroll checks, including withholdings and garnishments
- Ensuring timely and accurate processing of new hires, transfers, promotions and terminations
- Oversee various payments to foreign individuals
- Review and audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets and YTD earnings
- Balance payroll accounts by auditing information, resolving discrepancies and initiating journal entries
- Exchange information with Benefits/Human Resources to ensure accuracy of data
- Ensure compliance with New York State Wage/Theft Prevention Act
TECHNOLOGY AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Ensure quarterly payroll and benefit encumbrances are calculated and posted accurately
- Develop, recommend and lead projects to keep up with technological advances
- Manage project and issues list with IT support team
- Create reports and provide meaningful data to Management staff and other University areas as needed
- Work with University on current and future data feed and technology projects
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND OFFICE TEAMWORK
- Provide general and daily oversight of payroll staff
- Complete annual performance evaluations and performance programs for all payroll staff
- Communicate actively with Accounts Payable, Benefits/Human Resources, and accounting to review and reconcile shared data
TAXATION PROCESSING AND REPORTING
- Ensure timely processing of quarterly and annual federal and state tax filings
- Ensure accurate and timely payroll tax remittances
- Ensure year end distribution of W2 statements
- Ensure timely and accurate year-end tax reports for payments made to foreign individuals
- Oversee proper storage and security of payroll records, including hard copy and electronic information
- Remain up to date on changes to laws, regulations, and tax tables that impact payroll administration
- Build working relationships with account holders and payroll peers across the University
- Other payroll duties as assigned.
The University at Buffalo Foundation (UBF) plays a vital role in helping UB establish, enhance and expand its reputation as a leading public research university. As a private, independent organization, UBF assists in the acquisition of strategic assets, investing and providing resources, and providing a variety of services for the UB community.