Access Services Assistant, Library (6761C) 27295
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 29, 2019
The Northern Regional Library Facility (NRLF) is a cooperative high-density shelving facility for library materials belonging to the UC libraries in California. It is one of two shared facilities developed to store, preserve, and provide access to low-use library collections. It is administered by the UCB Library. The Deposit Services and the Access Services units are administrative units at the NRLF.
This position supports the following activities at NRLF: book digitization projects; remote lending, electronic document delivery and onsite access services; technical processing of new deposits, shared print activities and database maintenance projects.
- Retrieve material from NRLF stacks; inspect books per established preservation criteria to determine if items are suitable for digital scanning or for remote lending; package material for transport; receive, process and reshelve returned material.
- Assist library users at the public service desk: perform basic bibliographic checking for material requested by library users and find the corresponding NRLF barcode numbers in the database; check-in/out library materials; answer questions.
- Technical processing: accession new deposits arriving at the NRLF into the local database; assist the Shared Print Library Assistant as needed; physically prepare & shelve incoming material.
- Relevant library experience.
- Familiarity with an Integrated Library System (ILS), preferably with Innovative's Millennium.
- Familiarity with bibliographic searching.
- Aptitude for accuracy and detailed work.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to organize and handle heavy workloads to meet the daily deadlines; ability to work with interruptions.
- Ability to work in the stacks and at the computer for extended periods; work effectively both independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to move carts & book trucks loaded up to 480 lbs.; lift & bend with boxes or volumes weighing up to 40 lbs.; climb and reach on stepstools and rolling ladders.
Salary & Benefits
- Relevant academic library experience.
- Basic knowledge of circulation practices.
- Experience using standard office software (MS Office & Adobe Acrobat)
The hourly salary range of the position is $19.33 - $21.88, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27295&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1