Customer Service Representative,Student Health Insurance Plan (4722C) 1980 - 1980
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 22, 2019
UC Berkeley's University Health Services (UHS) is a comprehensive campus-based health center providing fully accredited, primary medical care, counseling and psychological services, and innovative health promotion programs for students, faculty, and staff. The UHS provides on-campus medical and mental health care and coordinates off-campus care through a network of community specialists and hospitals. Departments serving students include general medical, specialty and urgent care clinics, counseling and psychological services, social services, laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy, radiology and health promotion. In addition, UHS administers a major medical insurance plan, the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) Office is responsible for the administration of the University of California's mandatory insurance requirement and the enrollment of students in SHIP as a way to meet that mandate at Berkeley. SHIP is billed as part of the campus registration fees to over 22,000 students each semester. The office coordinates all member services for the over 22,000 students enrolled in SHIP and conducts the waiver program for students who have existing insurance that meets the University's mandate. Additionally, the office coordinates health insurance programs for specialized university groups such as Intercollegiate Athletes. The SHIP Office is also responsible for claims processing and cashier/billing duties for UHS.
This position would support the daily operations of SHIP. This position would perform duties related to customer service, insurance benefits counseling, claims processing, and cashiering duties. This position requires teamwork and significant interpersonal and communication skills as well as attention to detail.
- Supports the functions of the Student Health Insurance Plan Office which includes:
- Coordinating requests for SHIP referrals and approvals.
- SHIP Office reception and customer service.
- Providing information and outreach to students, parents, and others on waiver criteria, process, and application status.
- Conduct presentations on SHIP basics to new students and parents.
- Counsel students on insurance benefits, exclusions, and plan structure.
- Assist with plan enrollment for dependents and other voluntary populations.
- Resolve basic claims issues with medical, dental, and vision carriers.
- Respond to and resolve inquiries from non-UHS providers serving SHIP patients.
- Coordinate with other UHS departments and Athletics as needed to assist with case coordination and referral/claim issues.
- Assist with waiver appeal processing and customer service as needed.
- Support to the cashiering department. Involves taking student walk-up's to collect payments, provide walkout statements, or be reviewing tickets for cashiering staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated customer service experience and commitment to providing high quality service.
- Thorough knowledge in administrative procedures and processes including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications. Requires good verbal and written communication skills, active listening, critical thinking, multi-task and time management skills.
- Requires interpersonal and work leadership skills.
- Skill in managing sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Able to handle distractions and interruptions.
- Strong commitment to confidentiality and patient privacy.
- Strong customer service experience.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- High school diploma or equivalent experience.
- Call center experience.
- Experience working in health insurance.
- Experience in higher education environment.
- BA or BS degree and/or equivalent experience/training strongly preferred.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification (if applicable).
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1980&PostingSeq=1