Faculty Assistant - Lead (4722C), Haas School of Business - 1734 - 1734
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 7, 2019
UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business offers a unique opportunity to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and continually learn in a workplace committed to increasing diversity and creating a welcoming environment for all.
Our distinctive culture is captured within our four Defining Leadership Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. These principles distinguish Berkeley Haas as a unique environment, conducive to teamwork, collaboration, and career growth.
For more information about the Haas School of Business visit: https://haas.berkeley.edu/about/
- Provide assistance and information about processes and resources to perform faculty assistant assignments
- Assist management with the assignment of faculty to Faculty Assistants.
- Manage student workers.
- Manage work schedules and balance workflow between assistants for optimum service delivery to faculty.
- Ensure communication processes exist for Faculty Assistants to receive and distribute information necessary for their understanding of the School and their roles.
- Facilitate meetings, including agendas and minutes
- Make recommendations for development training and learning opportunities, as well as morale building activities
- Provide word processing, copy writing, editing, proofreading for research papers, manuscripts, and correspondence, including letters of recommendation
- Materials prep, submission fee support
- Monitor research funds including materials purchases and payroll expenses for research staff. If position is through Haas allocations, track in BAIRS, funded through external sources, work with grant administrator to monitor expenditures
- Notify PI of any impending deficits due to regular payroll charges or expense allocations related to research staff and coordinate with Research Staffing Administrator on any changes to staff appointments
- Resolve simple software/hardware problems
- Update and maintain WEB pages using knowledge of HTML
- Provide information and supporting paperwork to the business services administrator to ensure timely payment and reimbursement processing
- Provide tracking of paperwork submitted for individual faculty for Travel and Entertainment (meals related to UCB mission) reimbursement
- Manage Purchase and Payment requests (shopping carts) with Haas Business and Campus Shared Services
- Navigate faculty through Haas and UC policies and procedures to reach academic goals
- Restaurant, taxi, hotel and airline reservations
- Obtain and provide parking passes for class visitors and guests
- Order supplies and request repairs of office environments and equipment
- Order journal subscriptions, membership renewals, software, books, research and instructional materials (other than textbooks), etc.
- Provide mail, fax, FedEx and courier services
- Reserve meeting space and AV reservations
- Questionnaires, surveys, flyers, posters, door cards and nametags
- Provide faculty merit/promotion support under the direction of Academic Affairs
- Coordinate with Haas units for expenditures and corrections
- Academic event support for conference planning at the request of a Haas faculty member or subject matter group.
- Support to conference planners in units managing academic conferences for faculty
- Academic seminar support including schedules and catering arrangements
- Create daily schedule and provide information for guest speakers, visitors
- Logistics planning and execution as requested by faculty organizer
- Develop budget estimates, expense payment, reporting of final expenses
- Communications by email, evite tools, web page, etc. by following host faculty instructions
- Follow UC policy and protocol for permits, contracts, and documentation
- Work on special programs as assigned
- Attend classes which will enhance expertise in job areas
- Serve on departmental and campus-wide committees as appropriate
- Participate in activities that enhance the campus community and/or larger community to further University service
- Maintain knowledge of (unit name) business processes in order to provide back up to other support staff in the unit.
- Related experience in providing administrative support to a group of 8 - 12 faculty or managers (from an accredited degree granting university/college) or similar environment.
- Demonstrated experience providing high level of customer service
- Attention to detail while managing shifting priorities
- Accurate record keeping, organizational skills and experience with online accounting systems
- Experience with scheduling for groups as well as creating individual visit itineraries
- Demonstrated strong written, editing, and verbal communications skills, with excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage high volume incoming email from faculty, students and external customers
- Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to new business processes and software tools on a frequent basis
- Demonstrated intermediate-to-advanced skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and be proactive especially in problem solving; utilizing resources for clarification and/or instructions to increase efficiency
- Effective interpersonal and relationship-building skills for working in a large community
- Well-developed interpersonal communication with a high level of diversity awareness
- Demonstrated ability to be reliable and punctual in attendance and output
- Some knowledge of UC Berkeley's Berkeley Financial System (BFS), Bear Buy, Travel and Entertainment (T&E), and Connexxus
- Ability and willingness to learn new online systems and other new software and technology
- Awareness of critical academic/administrative deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of student records following confidentiality rules established by FERPA, the State of California and the University
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay will be commensurate with experience, within the Union negotiated rates up to $31.00 / Step 12.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1734&PostingSeq=1