Classified Unit A
Time (Percent Time):
Current Work Schedule (days, hours):
Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Steps 1 - 6: $5,783 - $7,381 per month
Shift differential eligibility based on the current collective bargaining agreement
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on January 14, 2021, are assured consideration.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online unless otherwise noted at Mt.SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
3. A detailed rsum that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
4. Two letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation).
5. If applicable, College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
Health & Welfare:
The College contributes an annual premium up to the family coverage amount for Kaiser Permanente $15 office visit medical, DeltaCare HMO dental, VSP vision and life insurance plans. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees.
The District participates in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and National Benefit Services.
*Note Salary and Health & Welfare Benefits are subject to change
Under general supervision, coordinates the preparation, maintenance, and processing of the College's payroll; prepares, maintains, and distributes a variety of payroll records and reports; processes multiple payroll cycles to ensure employees are paid in an accurate and timely fashion.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Director, Payroll. Provides technical and functional direction and training to assigned staff.
This is a journey-level and specialized class that performs a variety of professional and technical duties in support of the College's payroll and benefits systems. Incumbents are responsible for the overall preparation and distribution of payroll, maintenance of payroll records, and required reporting in accordance with Federal, State, and local laws, rules, and regulations. This class is distinguished from other finance and accounting support classifications in that it has specialized subject matter expertise in payroll requiring additional levels of skills and training.
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
1. Processes hourly payrolls for adjunct faculty and hourly classified personnel by performing an extensive list of critical steps to open, audit, and complete multiple payroll cycles.
2. Conducts difficult and complex payroll calculations and performs various audit and verification procedures related to employee payroll.
3. Coordinates communication between divisions, departments, payroll, accounting, and human resources to ensure employees job records are entered into the payroll system in an accurate and timely manner.
4. Coordinates communication within the Payroll Department to ensure smooth and efficient payroll activities, streamline payroll processes, and prevents duplication of efforts.
5. Coordinates the preparation, maintenance, updating, and processing of electronic timesheets.
6. Ensures all web-based timesheets are approved on time by department heads, supervisors, and managers through monitoring and communication with all timesheet approvers.
7. Assists the Director, Payroll with the processing of multiple monthly payrolls ensuring timely and accurate payments to employees; acts as Director, Payroll in his/her absence with the exception of the supervision of staff.
8. Enters adjustments within the Enterprise Application System (e.g. Banner) to process employee refunds, tax withholding, wage garnishments, and other payroll deductions.
9. Prepares and reconciles vendor payments for employee deductions, prepares payroll registers, transmits backup data to vendors, and submits remittance requests to Accounts Payable.
10. Prepares and reconciles CalSTRS (California State Teachers Retirement System) and CalPERS (California Public Employees Retirement System) employee retirement reports.
11. Calculates and tracks number of hours and days worked for employees and retirees to ensure compliance with CalPERS regulations; notifies Human Resources and employees accordingly.
12. Monitors the proper processing and data inputting of payroll technicians with regard to employee benefits, vacation, compensatory time, and sick leave usage; performs duties of Fiscal Technicians as necessary.
13. Assists with reconciliations of payroll accounts and performs corrections through payroll adjustments when necessary to resolve discrepancies.
14. Assists departments and employees by providing payroll information, explains procedures, and answers labor contract questions pertaining to payroll.
15. Processes information and develops reports using standard word processing, database, and spreadsheet software, as well as, accounting, payroll, financial, and other related electronic information systems.
16. Assists with implementation, testing, and training of automated enterprise application systems or emerging technologies related to the payroll transactions of the College.
17. Participates on committees, task forces, and special assignments, including, but not limited to Screening and Selection Committees and affiliated trainings. Prepares and delivers oral presentations related to assigned areas if needed.
18. Performs other related or lower classification duties as assigned.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Payroll reporting and payment requirements of various State and Federal agencies and benefit providers.
2. Processes and techniques related to the processing and recording of payroll.
3. Employee benefits processes as they relate to payroll, and laws, rules, regulations, procedures, and financial transactions related to employee benefits.
4. Computerized accounting and finance systems, and computer software and systems related to payroll processes.
5. Computer applications related to work, including word processing, database, and spreadsheet software.
6. Record keeping, information processing requirements, and rules and policies related to the production of an employee payroll.
7. Applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility, including the Colleges various contracts and documents.
8. Principles and practices of auditing payroll documents.
9. English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
10. Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, students, and staff, including individuals of various ages, disabilities, socio-economic and ethnic groups.
Skills and Abilities:
Skills and Abilities to:
1. Review payroll and other financial documents for completeness and accuracy.
2. Review, post, balance, reconcile, and maintain accurate and confidential payroll records.
3. Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of accounting, payroll processing, employee record-keeping functions, and basic employee benefits processes.
4. Work closely with staff to maintain a high level of integrity and confidentiality when dealing with sensitive and complex payroll issues.
5. Compose correspondence and reports independently or from brief instructions.
6. Establish, maintain, and research payroll and related accounting records and files.
7. Make accurate arithmetic, financial, and statistical computations.
8. Enter and retrieve data from a computer with sufficient speed and accuracy to perform assigned work.
9. Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record-keeping, and tracking systems.
10. Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
11. Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
12. Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
13. Understand scope of authority in making independent decisions.
14. Review situations accurately and determine appropriate course of action using judgment according to established policies and procedures.
15. Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
16. Learns and applies emerging technologies and, as necessary, to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner.
Minimum Qualifications/Education & Experience:
Equivalent to an Associates degree from a regionally accredited college with major coursework in business or public administration, public policy, or a related field, and three (3) full time equivalent years of varied administrative support experience preferably involving public contact; or two (2) full time equivalent years of experience equivalent to Administrative Specialist III at the College.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to an Associates Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field from a regionally accredited college, and three (3) full time equivalent years of experience in payroll, accounting, including the processing and preparation of employee payroll, and/or financial and accounting processing and record keeping. A Bachelors degree from a regionally accredited college or university in accounting or a related field is desirable.
A Bachelors degree in Business Administration or directly related field will qualify incumbents for an increased pay grade.
License(s) & Other Requirements:
Incumbents work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Incumbents may interact with staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing in and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Incumbents must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 20 pounds.
Conditions of Employment:
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report 2017
The person holding this position is considered a Responsible Employee under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the Colleges Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
Typing Certificate Requirements:
: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through the Office of Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
include photographs or any demographic information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
TRAVEL POLICY: Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be reimbursed up to $500 maximum. Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate. Travel reimbursement claims (original receipts) must be submitted no later than 30 days following the interview date.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: email@example.com
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Interviews may include a writing sample, committee presentation, and/or performance test. The start date will be following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at Mt. SAC Employment Website
to complete and submit your application for this position.
Letters of Recommendation
Confidential letters of recommendation are not accepted for this position. All letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the application.
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.
Conflict of Interest:
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio Colleges Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).
Cancel RTF Policy:
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
To apply, visit https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu/postings/7875