Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Transaction Specialist (4722C), BEARS Service Region - 8854
University of California Berkeley
Transaction Specialist (4722C), BEARS Service Region - 8854
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 25, 2020
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
Berkeley Educators & Administrators Regional Services (BEARS) - is part of Berkeley Regional Services, within the division of Vice Chancellor for Administration - provides reliable, high-quality administrative support to the Chancellor's, EVCP, Vice Chancellors', administrative, auxiliary, and other units that support academic excellence at UC Berkeley. Not only is BEARS the largest service region, it supports the largest variety of personnel positions in realizing UC Berkeley's mission of teaching, research, and public service.
Partners with key clients in the BEARS Service Region, including campus academic and business leaders, to best support their particular department/unit HR needs; including:
- Support assigned resources in managing the unit relationship, developing unit specific profiles and knowledge base materials.
- Provide strategic HR consultation across BEARS and with specific client units, education, and support to client management to resolve the most complex and sensitive issues concerning staff and the organization.
- Interpret Labor Relations agreements and provide strategic and tactical consultative guidance for up to 16+ different and complex bargaining units across the BEARS Region.
- Conduct complex employee and management investigations, prepare written reports and recommend action following investigations.
- Enters employee information into UCPath system for new hires, change of status, terminations, etc, ensuring that the data is correct and consistent.
- Ensures Audits for employee information and appointment information entered into UCPath are done accurately and promptly.
- Use various systems and reports to ensure timely, accurate payroll and personnel process for employees, including: time reporting input, adjustments, accruals, researching and resolving errors, interpreting policies and contracts, ensuring compliance with personnel and payroll policies and procedures.
- Investigate and develop solutions to problems in various HR and payroll systems.
- Applies timekeeping and/ or payroll concepts to perform complex analysis regarding pay processing adjustment, including retroactive pay and overpayments for employees in multiple bargaining units and unrepresented.
- Performs payroll and leave audits to ensure accurate pay, avoiding overpayment issues and adherence to University policies, Bargaining Unit Agreements and employment laws.
- Coordinate and ensure accurate timely processes for mass transactions (i.e. hires, separations, etc.): organize meetings and trainings, develop new documents and procedures as necessary.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of University infrastructure, policies and procedures, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Create, proofread, edit, update, and ensure timely distribution of: various documents, correspondence, operational calendar, manuals, etc.
- Ensure above materials are in proper business formats, accurate, grammatically correct, and handled confidentially, as required.
- Prepare, format, and analyze reports and data compiled from various systems.
- Utilize information to monitor and identify trends for: employee pay actions, data and pay corrections, etc.
- Prepare, maintain, track, process, reconcile and correct errors in a timely manner for recharges to other campus entities, transaction documents, financial reports (as requested), spreadsheets, etc. following appropriate University/departmental guidelines.
- Follow up and resolve any problems related to the above.
Customer Relations and Communication:
- Greet, direct, and provide information in a professional manner via phone, in person, and online in BRS ticketing system to employees, managers, campus units, and others regarding:
- general payroll information, specific payroll inquiries from employees, managers or other entities, etc.
- Respond to inquiries in timely and maintains confidentially of information.
- Participate in staff meetings and represents unit in departmental planning committees and with campus entities.
- Communicate with supervisor on workload, ability to meet deadlines, system functionality, etc.
- Recommend and implement procedural changes for internal payroll operations manual.
- Provide assistance and back-up support to coordinate all pre-meeting and post meeting activities such as: agenda items, background materials, room locations, transportation, notifications, equipment set up/take down, conference calls, catering, notes, follow-up on action items, and minutes.
- Develop and implement a document (both electronic and hard copy) control system in an effort to keep sensitive business and payroll records and files up-to-date with the most relevant and current information (as required by policy or statute of limitations).
- Organize, label/code, update and maintain departmental filing by pulling out-of-date information and redundancies.
- Works in safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Knowledge and experience gained in two or more progressive years of professional administrative, project, and fiscal experience in a professional office environment.
- Detail oriented, accurate, and able to handle competing deadlines and multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to organize and maintain records.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to establish priorities and work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated skill in scheduling meetings and coordinating multiple calendars with calendaring software.
- Demonstrated record keeping and file management skills to organize, accurately document, and retrieve data in a variety of formats (Hard Copy, Electronic, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience in establishing priorities, following plans and completing goals/objectives in a timely manner.
- Ability to exercise integrity and discretion in all matters and to protect confidential information.
- Ability to demonstrate and encourage the values of collegiality, and respect among supervisors and peers.
- Ability to directly resolve problems through informal consultations and discussions at the lowest level possible.
- Ability to learn, understand, interpret, and apply University rules, regulations, and policies.
- Ability to make independent decisions in solving issues while adhering to the University of California and Berkeley campus policies.
- Experience with or ability to leaern Human Resource Management System (HRMS), On-line Payroll Time Reporting System (OPTRS), and Berkeley Financial System (BFS) chart of accounts.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn UC personnel and payroll policies and procedures.
- Basic understanding, knowledge of or has the ability to learn the University environment, its mission, and operational needs. Experience in a professional office environment in a college and/or university setting.
Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience/training strongly preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, career position.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8854&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |