Business System Analyst (7584U) -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 13, 2019
UC Berkeley Extension is a one of the largest and oldest continuing education operations thriving in the United States, with 2,000 professional development and personal enrichment classes and approximately 38,000 enrollments annually. The UC Berkeley Extension Information Technology team has developed a large portfolio of applications and services ranging from departmental and administrative supportive to enterprise mission critical, among them Extension's Student Information System, primary web site, and data warehouse.
This position will work amid a team of Business System Analysts responsible for understanding business needs relative to this extensive application and services portfolio. The role will be key in identifying opportunities for efficiencies in order for IT to reduce overhead, eliminate redundancy, gain agility, field new business demands and provide innovation, and to conceive of and propose solutions that add value to the business.
Success in this role will require analyzing large-scale and complex business processes and problems, working with application programmers and stakeholders and developing solutions involving the use of computer systems, information flow and architecture; validating and documenting business and user requirements; designing details of automated systems and adapting system logic as necessary; planning and executing unit integration and acceptance testing. May lead cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
- Applies technical expertise and business analysis concepts to identify, evaluate and define complex systems scope and objectives through research and fact-finding combined with an understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements.
- Works closely with stakeholders and application programmers identifying opportunities for process improvement and effective application of new technologies and solutions.
- Provides technical expertise in identifying, evaluating and developing complex systems and procedure, such as integrations among enterprise systems, Student Information Systems (Destiny, Campus Solutions), Learning Management Systems (Canvas), historical enrollment data, scheduling and reporting.
- Consults with management to ensure agreement on system principles, platform decisions, and security and operational considerations.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary.
- Confer with clients regarding the nature of the information processing or computation needs of Extension's computer programs.
- Validates requirements against needs and facilitates communication among application programmers, stakeholders and sponsors verbally and with supporting documentation.
- Applies business systems concepts to design details of complex automated systems.
- Plans and executes unit integration and acceptance testing.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues, initiatives and integrations, such as primary web site/CMS redesign, enterprise scheduling system, Salesforce/CRM and corporate training modules.
- Applies professional concepts, IT and project management policies and procedures to mange complex assignments.
- Under general supervision, assembles and directs small to moderate six project team and may monitor budget/spending (both human and material resources).
- Requires thorough knowledge of business analysis function.
- Requires knowledge of other areas of IT.
- Must have knowledge relating to the design of applications programs.
- Application development experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of department processes and procedures.
- Requires skills associated with analysis of processes and problems, information flow and architecture.
- Requires interpersonal and communications skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
Salary & Benefits
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 40-hour per week, two-year (Contract) appointment.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26959&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1