Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Student Services Advisor (4575U) - 35233
University of California, Berkeley
Student Services Advisor (4575U) - 35233
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
UC Berkeley's Art Practice Department provides rigorous practical, conceptual, and critical studio art training within a world-renowned public research university located on Huichin Ohlone Land.
Students develop a cross-media understanding of studio art practices in a global context and gain valuable experience for a wide range of professional lives within contemporary art and culture. 2D, 3D, and time-based studio production courses, research seminars, and professional development courses provide essential skills within conceptual and critical frameworks, and lead to a Bachelor of Arts or a Master of Fine Arts degree.
The diverse faculty consists of internationally acclaimed artists working across a range of media, and with multiple research interests that closely link the Art Practice Department with other university departments and research centers, including the Berkeley Center for New Media, the Program for Disability Studies, the Center for Race and Gender, the Townsend Center, the Institute for South Asia Studies, the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, and the LGBTQ Citizenship research cluster, among others.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 05/18/2022.
Student Advising & Records:
- Curriculum and enrollment Management utilizing the various processes in the Student Information System (SIS).
- Academic advising for both graduate and undergraduate programs.
- Advises faculty on department/school/college and university policies and procedures; reviews students' progress and advises students and faculty on requirements for degree/program completion; identifies students with progression problems and recommends interventions; participates in curriculum planning in collaboration with chair and manager, and with other departments.
- Advises visiting international and intercampus students.
Recruitment and Admissions:
- Advises prospective applicants on necessary academic preparation; appropriateness of program as it pertains to prospective applicant's goals; utilizing professional judgment.
- Evaluates domestic and international transcripts for degree eligibility, including consolidating applicant files, following up on missing materials, summarizing applicant qualification and preparing materials for faculty review; initiates and arranges student recruitments visits to Berkeley.
- Advise chair and department manager on schedule of classes for the department's academic year and summer session.
- Facilitates general assignments as well as thirteen departmental classrooms and laboratory spaces. Analysis and management of departmental schedule to implement other departments temporary space requests and manage the CSIR report.
- Advise chair and department manager on GSI, Lecturer and faculty teaching assignments.
- Advise faculty with a complex array of lecture, studio, technique, and seminar courses in such a way that meets departmental needs.
- Devises curriculum planning in collaboration with chair/dean and faculty, and with other departments, to ensure students' progress through course sequences, avoiding conflicts, and ensuring compliance with campus-wide policies.
- Overseas the administration, evaluation, and awarding of student fellowships, grants, scholarships, and other awards; advises students on financial aid options on campus and extra-mural fellowship opportunities; oversees processes for equitable assignment of GSIs and coordinates GSI assignments each term.
- Responsible for interpreting campus policies and advising students and faculty on student conduct, student grievance, disputes, and issues regarding discrimination.
- Plans and implements complex, high-visibility student events, such as commencements, Fall Reception, and Cal Day.
- Working knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn University-specific computer application programs.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
- Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving, identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance.
- Ability in problem identification, reasoning.
- Ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to work with independence and self-direction.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) exempt career position, which is paid monthly and eligible for full UC Benefits. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $60,000.00 - $74,700.00.For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
This is a remote-friendly position, eligible for 75% remote capability.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=35233&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |