Urgent Care/Primary Care Physician, Per Diem (6005C) 14014
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
As a national collegiate leader, University Health Services (UHS) is a comprehensive campus-based health center providing fully accredited medical and mental health care, education, a major medical insurance plan, and innovative health promotion programs for students, faculty and staff. UHS is deeply committed to ensuring affordable, well-integrated, multidisciplinary healthcare that effectively supports the university's diverse campus communities, through equitable access and culturally competent, high-quality programs and services.
The Clinical Services Program within UHS includes primary care, urgent care, occupational health and specialty clinics, clinical laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy and radiology. Learn more by visiting http://uhs.berkeley.edu/
I. Provides direct patient care in the Primary Care Clinic.
Works as a member of the team with other clinic staff, including nurse practitioners, nurses and support staff.
Provides consultation for nurse practitioners and advice nurses.
Sees appointed patients in a timely manner.
Integrates patient education into medical practice, including preventive and health maintenance, as appropriate.
Arranges follow-up including appropriate referral to specialists.
II. Provides direct patient care in the Urgent Care Clinic, including during extended hours of operation (after 5:00 PM on weekdays, and on weekends):
A. Triages promptly and takes appropriate steps toward initial stabilization of critically ill or injured patient (e.g., organ system failure).
Possesses background via residency training or prior experience in emergency setting (or equivalent).
B. Provide appropriate initial care for a wide range of medical and surgical problems.
Evaluates and initially treats musculoskeletal injuries, using x-ray and splinting appropriately.
Evaluates and initially treats urgent medical and gynecological problems.
Sutures uncomplicated lacerations.
Performs incision and drainage of superficial abscesses
Evaluates and begins treatment of psychiatric emergencies.
Evaluates and treats work-related injuries, including taking an occupational history and making appropriate assessments of ability to return to work and medical restrictions on work activities.
Works efficiently to prioritize patients' problems, treating urgent problems first, and other problems as time permits.
Recommends appropriate follow-up, when indicated.
Provides decisive leadership in unit; acts with good judgment in situations that require liaison with administration, other units and/or the community.
Works effectively as a member of the clinical team, and provides consultation to other team members, including nurse practitioners and nurses.
III. Examines and diagnoses patients, prescribes and administers medical treatments, advises patients on how to use medications, performs select procedures; administers anesthesia, and performs other medical functions, as authorized.
A. Orders examinations, analyses, X-rays, special diets, and writes prescriptions.
B. Reviews reports, supervises trainees and provides consultation to mid-level practitioners.
C. Provides oversight and medical guidance to nurses and other members of clinical staff.
IV. Attends and participates in staff conferences.
- Requires knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of Physician duties at this level.
- Proficient clinical skills.
- Must be able to communicate with both patients and clinical staff members.
- Displays understanding of and sensitivity to the professional identity, interests and skills of other team members, including nurses, nurse practitioners and other mid-level clinicians, health educators, support staff and administration.
- Works well with staff of diverse cultural, ethnic/racial backgrounds and sexual orientations.
- Develops constructive and caring professional relationships, consistent with UHS statement of Patient's Rights and Responsibilities, characterized by:
- respect for the patient as an individual regardless of cultural, racial/ethnic background or sexual orientation;
- recognition of his/her rights as a client;
- concern for the problems or questions that brought him/her to health care;
- understanding of the social and environmental context of health on the college campus.
- Must have effective diagnostic and decision making skills.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative manner.
- Must be able to diagnose patient condition and make associated treatment recommendations.
- Must be able to influence others.
- Requires knowledge of electronic/medical records systems.
- Must be computer literate
- Must be able to keep pace within the appointment system or pace appropriate to drop-in patient load; generally work within limits of available resources and within expected goals of productivity.
- Must maintain professional standards for communications and documentation.
- Medical record entries are organized into history, physical examination, assessment and plan. Each element is clear, complete, legible and relevant.
- Medical record entries and coding (of provider, diagnoses, etc.) are completed within 24 hours.
- Written and oral communications to patients and other providers are completed and documented in a timely fashion.
- Must stay abreast of new medical knowledge; maintain and increase expertise and skills as relevant to clinical practice in a college health setting.
- Fulfill or exceed continuing medical education requirements to maintain California license.
- Maintain certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support and Advanced Cardiac Life Support.
- Maintain board certification.
- Participate in UHS educational conferences and other programs appropriate to UHS practice.
- Must maintain standards of professional conduct as published by AMA/CMA.
Licenses or certifications:
- Requires Medical License; Board Certification. Possession of the legal requirements for the practice of medicine in California as determined by the California Medical Board.
- Maintains current medical license, DEA license, NPI number, basic CPR certification, ACLS certification if working in Urgent Care (unless Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, in which case the requirement for ACLS certification is waived) and "Qualifications for Physician Employment." Provides relevant documentation to UHS.
Salary & Benefits
$101.27 per hour. This per diem position does not qualify for UC benefits plan.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
- Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification.
- This position is governed by the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining agreement between the University of California and the Union of American Physicians and Dentists (UAPD). More information is available at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/dx/contract.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=14014&PostingSeq=1