Employees at this level work under the close supervision of a designated supervisor and are generally entry-level specialists. They receive direct supervision on issues relating to procedures and standards for the systems for which they are responsible and the operating environment in which they function.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Installs, Upgrades, Maintains, and Monitors Systems Hardware and Software, Integrates systems to Increase Functionality and Drive Automation, Provides Training and Documentation Support
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Any combination totaling two (2) years of experience from the following categories:
o Progressively more responsible IT work experience in systems engineering, server/storage administration, network engineering, or a related discipline
o College coursework which included Information Technology (IT) or a closely related discipline as measured by the following conversion table:
~60 semester hours or an Associate Degree = 1 year
~90 to 120 semester hours or a Bachelors Degree – 2 years
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
1. ITIL Foundations certification within 1 year of hire
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Bachelor’s degree in IT-related field
2. Industry certifications in specific fields
3. ITIL intermediate certification in Service Design or Service Transition
This position requires the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment and can also learn new skills and knowledge when appropriate. Depending upon the specific job required, these skills can include:
- Intermediate skills in server and Operating System administration and maintenance
- Basic skills in managing enterprise storage arrays and systems
- Basic skills in directory services and management
- Basic skills in cloud-based systems management
- Demonstrated knowledge of industry-standard monitoring tools and techniques
- Demonstrated knowledge of networking protocols
- Demonstrated knowledge of PowerShell scripting
- Demonstrated knowledge of Active Directory
- Demonstrated knowledge of Azure Active Directory
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft 365 services
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Intermediate to Advanced Proficiency in Customer and Team Focus: Relates well to people both inside and outside the organization and is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all. He/she is team-oriented, cooperative, trustworthy, respectful, supportive, diplomatic, tactful, and collaborative, and works to build and maintain effective relationships with both customers and peers. Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services.
2. Entry-Level to Intermediate Proficiency in Driving for Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully and is constantly and consistently one of the top performers. Enjoys working hard and pursues challenging tasks with energy, drive, and a need to finish even in the face of setbacks or resistance. Is very bottom-line and action oriented to steadfastly push self and others.
3. Advanced / High Level of Ethics and Values: Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times. Acts in line with those values to reward the right values and disapprove of others. Practices what he/she preaches. Complies with State of Illinois ethics laws and completes annual NIU Ethics training.
4. Intermediate Proficiency for Learning on the Fly: Is a bright, intelligent, agile, capable, and versatile learner and problem solver who uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Experiments, analyzes, and creates new and unique ideas to find fruitful answers to complex problems and quickly grasps the essence and underlying structure of anything. Analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement and enjoys the challenges of unfamiliar tasks.
5. Intermediate Proficiency in Time Management: Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently. Values time and concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities. Performs tasks in a timely manner and can attend to a broader range of activities.
6. Intermediate Level of Self-Knowledge: Notices the need to change personal, interpersonal, and managerial behavior quickly based on knowing one’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and limits. Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve, adjust, and compensate for mistakes and seeks criticism and feedback.
7. Intermediate / Moderate Level of Proficiency in Communicating Effectively and Professionally: Presents ideas clearly in both verbal and written formats. Listens attentively and tailors communication based on the audience. Presents a professional image in all communications.
8. Intermediate Proficiency in Applying Programming Knowledge: Understands the essentials of computer programming, coding and scripting and uses various programming languages or shell scripting depending on the current job or project (e.g., Oracle, Structured Query Language, T-SQL, VB Script, PowerShell, .NET, DOS, HTML, UNIX Shell, etc.)
9. Intermediate Proficiency in Applying Computer Software Knowledge: Applies understanding of the software development life cycle, training software tools, ERP software tools, and office software tools.
10. Intermediate Proficiency in Applying Enterprise Integration Knowledge: Understands the essentials of enterprise application integration, software development life cycle, service-oriented architecture, enterprise service bus, software development tools, and open source frameworks.