Personal Trainer (4128U) 1742 - 1742
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 9, 2019
Cal Recreational Sports is dedicated to enhancing the knowledge, wellness, fitness, personal skills and quality of life for students, faculty, staff, and the community. By providing facilities, programs, activities and the opportunity for cooperative and competitive play, Recreational Sports teaches life-long fitness skills, leadership, management, interpersonal skills, and helps to balance the stress of studying and working in a rigorous academic environment. Visit us at https://recsports.berkeley.edu/
- Provides advanced or specialized activity instruction to program participants, individually or in groups.
- Maintains a safe and supportive environment for program participants and facilitate involvement. Enforces departmental policies and procedures.
- Interacts with recreational program participants in a positive and professional manner.
- Computer Usage: Tracks client progress and personal administrative records (time keeping, internal communications, client records, etc).
- Keeps current on teaching methods, techniques and skills through continuing education. Participates in required professional development activities.
- Has advanced knowledge of program activity practices and procedures.
- Requires verbal and written communication in the English language, active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management skills.
- Service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Must be able to work effectively, across all organization levels, internally and externally.
- Must have highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Client service minded entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Basic Computer Knowledge.
- Knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Previous experience with instruction of fitness and recreation programs.
- Previous experience working with age level specific to an activity.
Licenses or certifications, if any:
- Current certification with one of the following organizations: NASM, ACSM, NSCA - CPT or ACE
- Red Cross CPR with AED
- Standard First Aid Training Certification.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a part time contract position with an end date of 6/30/2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1742&PostingSeq=1