Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Program Specialist - Science, Math & Biotech (4168U) - 14401
University of California, Berkeley
Program Specialist - Science, Math & Biotech (4168U) - 14401
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 29, 2021
UC Berkeley Extension, the continuing education division of the University of California, Berkeley, has been building bridges between UC Berkeley and the public since 1891. UC Berkeley Extension serves the professional and continuing education goals of thousands of people each year. Extension's programs are an essential part of the University mission to: extend the research and scholarship of UC Berkeley to a global community; increase access to higher education for non-traditional, online and international students; and improve the workforce.
- Provides support for students.
- Responds to inquiries in a timely manner from students, potential enrollees, and instructors. Assists students in determining proper courses to complete program requirements. Applies professional concepts when providing advice and assistance to students on certificate programs and courses as needed. Researches and resolves enrollment issues. Resolves student/instructor disputes, escalates as needed to the program manager or director. Collaborates with program manager and director on grade appeals process.
- Plans and schedules course offerings, identifies course topics.
- Works with staff in Extension and outside organizations to ensure smooth operation of courses and programs. Initiates course scheduling for a portfolio of classes. Provides administrative and logistical support to the department's programs and meetings. Establishes and maintains files for courses and instructors. Ensures that online and in print course information is up-to-date, correcting copy as necessary. Monitors enrollments. Works with program manager and director to adjust schedules if needed. Cancels courses as necessary.
- Recruits, selects, orients, evaluates and supervises qualified course and program instructors.
- Works with program directors to identify potential instructors; coordinates instructor interviews and materials required for academic approval and instructor hiring and onboarding. Manages contracts and instructor agreements for instructors, course developers or special instructors. Provides front line support to instructors on academic and administrative policies, student issues.
- Plans and develops new programs and curriculum, and organizes, adjusts, and supports existing courses and curriculum in a continuing education/international education environment.
- Works with program managers, directors and instructors to secure academic approval for courses submitted to COCI (Committee of Courses on Instruction), proactively and independently tracking, troubleshooting, and resolving issues as needed.
- Actively participates in long-range strategic planning for public educational/international education programs.
- Conducts in-depth market and competitive research on potential new programs.
- Responsible for keeping program application and enrollment data up to date and putting together metrics that are comparable across each term for optimal mid to long term planning for student enrollment growth.
- Participates in developing strategic market plans and target audiences.
- Uses knowledge of student demographics from student interactions to contribute to the development of marketing materials and student outreach projects.
- Evaluates and adjusts course curriculum through student/participant evaluations and level of interest shown. Tracks student performance, enrollment data and recommends program schedules to program managers and directors.
- Prepares comprehensive analysis reports per term based on end of semester program evaluations and student feedback. Recommends changes to program curriculum or implementation processes based on student feedback.
- Facilitates and supports own and others special program events.
- Represents Berkeley Extension at all functions and events for the program. Organizes and coordinates information sessions, program outreach at career fairs, academic events, and departmental program extracurricular activities/workshops/cohort lunches.
- Develops, prepares and reconciles budget for program.
- Ensures that instructors have met all contractual agreements prior to the issuance of payment. Processes expense reimbursements
- Thorough knowledge of functional area and understanding of how work may impact other areas.
- Thorough analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of and skill in delivering programs.
- Thorough knowledge of current public educational programs and trends.
- Thorough skills to conduct needs assessment and development of new presentations/courses to meet organizational needs.
- Knowledge of managing a portfolio of business and management courses at the university or corporate level.
- Skill in using business software systems in the completion of work assignments; i.e. Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Thorough knowledge of work environments in international higher education institutions, their organizational structure and processes.
- Thorough knowledge of international higher education systems and their issues of concern with respect to developments in global economics and geopolitics.
- Thorough written, verbal and interpersonal communications, tact and political acumen to effectively represent the campus and interact with representatives and leaders of higher education institutions and corporations.
- Advanced written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including skill to produce information that is appropriately presented and effectively received by target constituencies.
- Advanced intercultural communication skills to effectively manage intercultural teams as well as the relations with international students and life-long learners, parents, agents and representatives of institutional or corporate partners.
- Active listening skills, including advanced critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Skill to recognize potential areas of constituency concern and address, resolve and/or mitigate problems or issues.
- Ideal candidate will be a self-starter, with a strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- Thorough research, analytical and critical thinking skills, including sound judgment and decision-making skills and skill to correctly identifying real and potential problems, advising directors as required, and proposing effective strategic resolutions.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- 2-5 years of progressive experience in higher education administration is highly preferred.
- Continuing education in related field preferred.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
There are 2 openings for this position. This position is a renewable annual contact
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=14401&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |