Technical Project Management (0522U) Job 1768 - PATH - 1768
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: Immediate Review
UC Berkeley is looking for a dynamic project manager who is interested in coordinating a program focused on transforming decision making through the use of big data, machine learning, and cloud computing. The Connected Corridors team is about to launch, in association with Caltrans, an Amazon cloud based Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) system in multiple regions across California. With the launch of the first system in 2020, the fundamental capabilities to gather, process and utilize data for traffic management will be in place. A project manager is needed to coordinate and lead the completion of the initial development phase, the deployment to multiple locations and the overall presentation of results, schedules and budgets.
The job is challenging, but the rewards are substantial. There are few places with as many opportunities as UC Berkeley and, with the ongoing support of Caltrans, worthy accomplishments are possible. This is a position for an individual who is proactive, willing to accept some risk, and who understands that all things important are accomplished through teamwork and collaboration.
This position will provide support in three areas: General project support, Administrative support and Liaison with other departments. The position reports to the program manager. The program has roughly 15 personnel.
50% Project Support including:
- Prepares correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, and edits documents
- Analyze financial data from various sources, verifying all transactions and compiling the corresponding backup to review with the Program Manager and forward final approved paperwork to the Sponsor
- Manages and tracks encumbrances and fund balances
- Maintains online and hard copy files
- Maintains financial records and expenses
- Updates databases and spreadsheets as needed
- Prepares complex reimbursement documents
- Plans and coordinates travel arrangements for multiple staff
- Plans and coordinates entertainment arrangements for meetings and events
- In coordination with the Project Manager and/or other staff, complete various assignments and projects in a timely manner
- Independently provide analysis, administrative policy recommendations, and/or manage special projects in coordination with the Project Manager and/or staff
30% Administrative Support including:
- Manages the weekly report process for all staff, students, and researchers in the program; posts weekly report online
- Answers telephone calls, distribute mail and keeps supply inventory current and supplies ordered
- Assists with supervising undergraduate student workers, preparing schedules, etc.
- Assists in managing the calendar for the department's conference room
- Reserves conference rooms and/or space for meetings and/or events
20% Liaison with Other Departments including:
- Coordinates with the RSO in the transfer of funds into accounts and manages funds in multiple accounts and programs/projects (including reimbursements)
- Coordinates hiring students on grant or other fund sources
- Prepares and submits reimbursements and payments
- Submits purchase requests through the BearBuy system
- Works with HR and supervisor to develop job descriptions, facilitate benefits communications and other HR support functions as needed
- Reports room and building needs and/or issues with Facilities
- Coordinates conference room reservations with various admin in other departments/buildings
- Coordinates IT services for the department staff/student workers/visitors
- Coordinate keycard access to our office for visitors/staff/students with ITS main office
- Working knowledge of office procedures in all areas
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with financial management and records management
- Demonstrated ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to use judgment in responding to issues and concerns and in solving problems
- Well developed organizational, multi-tasking, coordination, and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work under pressure and meet demanding deadlines
- Proficiency in working with computer and information management systems; demonstrated competence in the use of spreadsheet and databases in financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports
- Strong attention to detail and thoroughness in work product
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, ability to interact effectively with faculty
- Familiar with Box, CalAnswers, BearBuy, ERSO Intranet, Travel and Entertainment Reimbursement System, BFS, Direct Bill, Connexxus, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Visio, and Phoebe.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
- The salary range designated for this position: $93,600 - $139,000; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1768&PostingSeq=1